Working Out of a Job

• Nice summary, but one (and its corollary) is mistaken:

No organisation shrinks to greatness!

Should say most don't. Or some don't. Many do. Prime example: General Electric. Many companies get fat, bloated, and full of people drawing paychecks and doing little else.

I worked for a company that expanded its IT department from 1000 to 3000 plus during the .COM boom. It was 1000 people too many (and that's being nice). I got caught in the reductions, due to some issues with an idiot boss.

So it goes. My job now is a hundred times better, and I'm appreciated.

But oftentimes companies have to shrink when they get too bloated. If not, they're not competitive.

My philosophy has always been to do the best job I can and learn as much as I can. Then if a company cans me, or if I decide to leave (something nobody as yet has brought up), I'm on a better footing to get a new job....

• GE focus did not need to be about productivity. One way the company made its money accumulating other companies with less value than GE, and then spinning the companies off later at the "GE" value, some might argue inflated, but it works.  I'm not sure how much GE went into the company later, but those spin offs seem to pass the investors eye as acceptable.  They have built a good brand and shared the wealth to those underappreciated companies. 

This is not to say that GE is not a good company.  Hey were they to put an offer to me I'd seroiusly consider it, I though hear the pay is average, and any ideas are thiers, even if they were yours, Husky is the same way.  They have some industry defining products.  Their emergency generator and backup power switching arm is probably one of the world most important businesses. 

Anyway it's too 'monday' for me to go on further.  I do feel like a peanut.

• I think GE is a good company, but it's a company of companies. They have many divisions manufacturing and building things unrelated to many of their other businesses. Also, a huge runup under Jack Welch occured with their financial services department/division, which made a fortune as a VC, contributing substantially to profits.

• I believe that this is one of the results of the "flat" management structure, where your direct manager no longer really understands what you are doing. The better you do your job the easier you will make it appear; and soon your manager thinks it cannot be all that hard anyway.

In the end I we should all be as professional as we can, try to live up to our own standards and learn from those around us. If the company standards are lower (or nonexistent), so be it.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply