WMI Query Data Reader connection string

• this document should better explain it.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• That helps as in I included Buffer as a name earlier, but I'm attaching an image of what I get now.

• ok nice and simply add this list

Description,DeviceID,FreeSpace,Size,SystemName

to the read only variables under the Script section.

Once done - then the script should work.

Attached is a screen shot to show where you need to add them

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Just wanted to say thanks for posting the PDF (Posted 1/26/2009 5:54:07 PM). Helped me fix a problem that had me bogged down for a few hours.

Now my SSIS package tracking disk space usage is working like a charm.

Kudos.

• hi,

I encountered the following error on extecuting WMI Data reader task.I checked WMI data connection but there it gives Invalid parameter for testing the connection.Whats the parameter i have to pass?.

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio

------------------------------

Failed to connect to the specified server with the following error: "Invalid parameter ". The server name may be invalid.

BUTTONS:

OK

Thanks

Vijay

• hi,

A small improvement in the above status. I had added the names of servers in the table server_query_list.But the package returns result for the space availaible for the local system. The table ServerDiskSpace is get filled with the space details of the local system rather than the servers which i had added in the server_query_list.I cant figure out whats wrong i had configured?...Any ideas.

Thanks

vijay

• it sounds like it's not picking up the server name correctly. Have you checked using watch variables and breakpoints that the servername is changing to the correct server string?

• just re-reading your message - did you add the name of the server before the server string in the table?

i.e.

Name (My Database Server)

Server (dbserver.network.com)

If you did, then what you may need to do is change field offset for the server string from 0 to 1 in the data, so the server (e.g. dbserver.network.com) is mapped to the correct SSIS variable.

let me know if I don't make sense

• hi,

I had attached the screenshot(disk.png) which has the configuration settings i did for the WMI connection manager.Some how it picks values of my local system.Then i hardcorded the server name in the ServerConnString variable. I t throws me an access devied error now.I had attached that screen shot too(disc1.png).have a look and clarify me..

Thanks

vijayalaya cholan

• Dave,

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time and effort for putting together the documentation in the attatchments. This is some really good stuff. You may consider putting it all together and submitting it as an article. There's not a whole lot out there on WMI stuff.

Again, Thanks.

John

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks John.

In nice to know it appreciated. 😀

• I think you should submit an article(or series) as well.

• Awesome package.

Thought I'd offer up a suggestion, if you change the WMI query to:

select FreeSpace, DeviceID, Size, SystemName, Description

from WIn32_LogicalDisk

where DriveType=3

It will check all actual drives, and exclude floppy, CD-ROM, and network shares.

I removed the where clause and had that problem, so had to find a way of excluding those types of drives.

• excellent thanks. I'll build that in.

• dave (6/25/2009)

excellent thanks. I'll build that in.

No worries, have used your package to build in lots more WMI events and SQL checks as well 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply