Witness Server DB Mirroring

• I have set up a database mirroring in a production server. When the principal server failover its not getting automatically mirrored to the mirror server. I have checked one of my user database in the properties tab and have given the TCP port perfectly. I have to do a manual failover all the time.

• Is there a witness server?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes I have a witness server, Mirror server and principal server.

• Right click on the principal database, click on properties. Select the Mirroring page and look at the Operating Mode. What is selected there?

• Do you get any row in output if you execute select * from master.sys.database_mirroring_witnesses?

MJ

• Lynn,

Its high safety with automatic failover(Synchronous) but its graded out.

• Manu,

I did not get any output post execution of the query in Principal server.

• anarayanamoorthy (6/12/2012)

Lynn,

Its high safety with automatic failover(Synchronous) but its graded out.

Can you post a screen shot of the page?

• Enclosed is the attachment of the snapshot Lynn.

• anarayanamoorthy (6/12/2012)

Manu,

I did not get any output post execution of the query in Principal server.

You should only get a result set when run on a server operating as a witness to database mirroring. If your principal and mirror servers are not also working as a witness to other mirror setups this system dmv should be empty on these servers.

• What does the following return on both principal and mirror servers: select * from sys.database_mirroring.

• Lynn,

Find the attached image which consists of output from the witness server.

• Hi Gross,

Did u resolve this issue or not yet?

Did you check all server SP & SQL SP are same...

• Please find the output from witness server.

• anarayanamoorthy (6/26/2012)

Please find the output from witness server.

First, it doesn't show all the fields (columns). Second, doesn't really provide much information other than the witness is involved in several mirrored setups.

What about the the query I sent you to run on the mirror and principal servers? Also, since it looks like you have several databases mirrored, is this isolated to only one mirrored database or are the others experiencing the same problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply