With Execute AS

• We moved our application over from 2008R2.... set up the sysadmin Active Directory group.. but the below code no longer works.

I even commented out the sp_delete_job and had it do a simple select..

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[DeleteJob]

@Namenvarchar(260)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'Domain\DB' --This needs to be uncommented and a proper sysadmin user added that is a dbo in msdb.

AS

print 'hi'

select * from msdb.dbo.sysjobs

---- execmsdb.dbo.sp_delete_job @job_name = @name

What I get is :

hi

Msg 229, Level 14, State 5, Procedure DeleteJob, Line 166

The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'sysjobs', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.

However when I go into msdb and run the select.. it works... and I am part of Domain\DB

• dwilliscp - Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:19 PM

We moved our application over from 2008R2.... set up the sysadmin Active Directory group.. but the below code no longer works.

I even commented out the sp_delete_job and had it do a simple select..

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[DeleteJob]

@Namenvarchar(260)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'Domain\DB' --This needs to be uncommented and a proper sysadmin user added that is a dbo in msdb.

AS

print 'hi'

select * from msdb.dbo.sysjobs

---- execmsdb.dbo.sp_delete_job @job_name = @name

What I get is :

hi

Msg 229, Level 14, State 5, Procedure DeleteJob, Line 166

The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'sysjobs', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.

However when I go into msdb and run the select.. it works... and I am part of Domain\DB

If you check the information on the arguments in the documentation for Execute As, it states:
    name must be a singleton account, and cannot be a group, role, certificate, key, or built-in account, such as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService, NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, or NT AUTHORITY\LocalSystem.
    EXECUTE AS (Transact-SQL)

Sue

• Thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply