Windows XP

• I have an original Windows XP CD given to me when I purchased my computer system.

Can I install that on my other computer system ?

Will there be any problems when I connect to the Internet (i.e. does XP register with Microsoft Web Site) ?

• 1) If this was an OEM copy then technically NO as it is only supposed to go with the original equipment (there are a lot of ins and outs to this that can bite you in a production environment).

2) Yes, does require activation with Microsoft. But if you mean does XP make it's presence known, other than the activation it better not as Microsoft is then breaking their promise on monitoring. However I would look up the method to remove MSG Messenger ASAP and do not run any unnessary services.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• That CD is the media for the license you got when you purchased your computer. If you still have XP on the computer, then you cannot install it elsewhere. If you have removed it and put something else on that computer, then yes, you can install it elsewhere.

It will require you to activate and register with MS. It let's you choose to do this across the Itnernet or you can use a phone.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply