Windows Write Caching on Disks

• Is it still a best practice to always have your Server Admin disable write caching on the logical disk in Windows when it will house SQL Server data/log files? In the physical world we were always recommended to do so, but what about for VM's with SAN storage?

We use VMware running Windows Server 2012 R2/SQL 2012 and have an EMC XtremeIO SAN. We are presenting the storage as RDM Physical to the VM and doing mount points to a single drive letter.

For Example:

D:\ - Mount Point

D:\Data - Data LUN

D:\Logs - Log LUN

Do I need to ask that the Windows level write caching on each presented disk be set to "Quick Removal" instead of "Better Performance"?

Owner & Principal SQL Server Consultant
    Im Your DBA, Inc.
    https://www.imyourdba.com/

• If you are using a SAN I doubt it will honour what you set in windows either way. Even most array controllers will ignore this Windows setting as you have to disable write caching in the array controller utility.

I don't really understand why you would want to disable write caching though? If you are using enterprise grade hardware with proper protection and keeping firmware/drivers within spec what is the issue?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply