Windows Update Issues

• Has anyone experienced any difficulty with updates in the past week? One of our SQL servers (08R2) installed some updates and one of the databases stopped functioning until we went through and reset a service account PW. It's like a PW was reset and didn't cause issues until a later reboot. No one is fessing up though.

• I haven't seen any update issues. But our corporate office is pretty strict on when these updates get pushed through (after thorough testing).

On the password side, though, there are some instances where things won't go into affect until a service is rebooted. I wonder if this is the case in your particular instance. Still, I would think a password should fail right away, unless the service isn't accessed often.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I haven't heard of anything either. Then again, I'm slightly paranoid about system updates. Like Brandie, we only install updates after they've been tested on a development server.

• Thanks for the thoughts. Our servers no longer automatically install updates. I've seen it now twice on our new 2012r2 sql server - I had posted about that one last week - and am wondering if the fact that it's a domain account running the services that is the cause of the problem? I've had to go in and manually re-enter (the same) password in under services, log on.

• jackfh (7/21/2015)

Thanks for the thoughts. Our servers no longer automatically install updates. I've seen it now twice on our new 2012r2 sql server - I had posted about that one last week - and am wondering if the fact that it's a domain account running the services that is the cause of the problem? I've had to go in and manually re-enter (the same) password in under services, log on.

If you don't have access to Active Directory, then engage someone who does. But make sure your domain account isn't set up to change passwords every 90 days. This is a default in AD and could be what is screwing up your services account.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I thought that might be it but I would have to reset the PW if that policy was applying in this case and not be able to use the same one.

• jackfh (7/22/2015)

I thought that might be it but I would have to reset the PW if that policy was applying in this case and not be able to use the same one.

Don't dismiss it immediately. It never hurts to double-check things like this so you can definitively rule them out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply