windows server 2003 -san

• Future Environment:

2 node IBM x445 4 CPU 2.0 GHZ 4GB Memory each server.

1 Controller IBM FastT700 with 2 EXP700.

26 or more FC-HDD 74GB 15K in RAID 1 + n Hot Spare

Tape and so on...

I need to configure this cluster and I have some questions:

1.Do I need to configure "Zone" and LUN MAsking" even if I have only 2 servers or this only apply when there are more than 2 Servers on the same storage device?

2.I have plenty of space so is it a good thing to put SQL Server DB on one array, SQL Server Logs on another array and SQL Server Backups on a third array?

3.It is sufficient to have only 2 Hot Spare or do you think I need more?

4.Is it better to have multiple arrays or multiple partitions within the arrays?

Please consider the following:

The idea is to create separate arrays for each drive letter.

In fact I have to plan these resources:

Arrays:

1 SQL Server databases

2 SQL Server transaction logs

3 SQL Server backups

4 SQL Server tempdb

5 Oracle database

6 Oracle redo logs

7 Oracle archived redo logs

8 Oracle Exports and Backup (RMAN)

9 File system

10 Ca-BrightStore arcServe Backup for Windows v.11

11 Quorum disk (for the cluster)

12 MS DTC

Every Array would have a different letter.

I have plan to also have Hot Spare drive of 73GB each.

Do you think this is a good design?

Please advise.

Kind regards.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards.

Franco

• At a cursory glance, here is my slicing:

I would do one mirror set just for the SQL server transaction logs, one for the Oracle Redo logs and one for the Quorm drive.

If you have large database consider using Veritas Netbackup solution, so you do not have to make a SQL .bak file on the disk but can directly write to the tapes. That will save you some space and reduce the additional backup that would have required from the disk to the tape. I think a similar solution is available for Oracle for archived redo logs too.

Rest of the the drives, I would do two volumes, one for SQL Server databases including tempdb; and one for Oracle databases.

As you can see, I am leaning towards having few larger volumes, that would reduce the additional work required as a volume is filled and you have to start using other volume intended for something else. chalking out large volumes would also make more number of drives available for each volume that way if you have uneven operations, you get better yield of your investment. As an example, let us say you put your backups on 2 or 4 drive RAID, more likely your backups are working only few hours a day (mostly off hours). Yet, these 4 drives are sitting idle for most of the day, that could have shared some of the load of your data drives. The same goes for tempdb, unless you have steady stream of large transactions going against tempdb, they are probably not sharing a whole lot of load from the data drives.

I may have been a bit off for Oracle here, my experience with Oracle is mostly conversations overheard from our Oracle DBAs.

• Thank you bvery much for your reply.

Kind regards.

Franco

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply