Windows Authentication failed

• Hi Guys,

I need some help...

SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition

Problem: Application cannot verify the login information for user 'domain\user' (Windows Authentication)

I moved the database from server A, to Server B, after I moved it, I start getting this error message.

I check orphans users, I add new user, I gave dbo_owner role...and nothing change.

Please any idea what is happening???

Thank you.

• Guys,

please any help???

thanks

• orphan users are only SQL Auth users.

I don't really have an idea of how to help you, but you should check that the SQL Server service accounts are the same (if they are a domain user and not localsystem). Check all and any Windows networking things like your primary DNS resolver which is also your ldap resolver.

Make sure the machines are in the same domain, or if not, that the domains are trusted.

Another thing to check is to create another new database on server b, grant in some of the server A logins as users and see if you get the same error... this will tell you if its a server problem or a database problem.

Good luck.

• Junior_DBA (10/17/2008)

Guys,

please any help???

thanks

i could be wrong and let me know if i'm way off but it sounds to me like you have moved the database to a new server and not yet added the windows user\group as a login on the new server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I was going to suggest what Perry mentioned.

Have you tried multiple Windows users?

• When you move your database from one server (A) to another server ( B), you will definitely face login failure issues from Application ( front end).

Like you said, you checked Sp_change_users_login, this applied only for SQL Server logins, but not for Windows login, and the error you mentioned in your post if Windows Login.

SQL Server by default does not provide any sp, or view or function to find orphan users (both SQL Server and Windows Users ).

I suggest you refer to this link, this script gives you a list of orphan users ( Both SQL as well as Windows) in a specific database.

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/troubleshooting_orphan_users.htm

Once you check for orphan Windows users ( domain\username , usernames most of the times will be same as Login names). you can fix Orphan users by creating same logins.

Hope this helps,

Imran Mohammed.

• HI,

I followed what you suggested me, to follow what the article URL you sent me says, but still the same...

I did also:

1) How to transfer the logins and the passwords between instances of SQL Server 2005 from Article ID: 918992.

2) How to transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server from Article ID: 246133

3) How to resolve permission issues when you move a database between servers that are running SQL Server from Article ID: 240872.

Still the same error: Application cannot verify the login information from user 'domain\user' (windows authentication)

please any other idea???

Thank you.

• Hi Guys,

I am still testing, I tried changing accounts in "Services" to a domain account, I reboot the computer, I add under Local Security Policy "act as operating system", and " log on as a service"...but I get the same error....please help??:crying:

• try checking the front end config file. could be a problem with login credentials there.

also is the user who is trying to connect a windows domain user. check if the user on domain has permissions to connect to server B.

• It might be worth checking that the users can actually access the database on the new server. Try creating a DSN that uses windows authenitcation and see if you can connect to the DB. If this test fails, then this is where you should focus your attentions. However, if the test connection on the DSN works then that should tell you you don't have a problem with the SQL Server config.

Assuming the DSN test is successful, then the issue is likely to be with the application. It might be that the app uses a DSN itself to connect to the DB and this needs to be updated with the server name where the DB is now located. Alternatively there may be a config file that stores this info that needs to be updated. Look out if you have a policy that uses DNS aliases as opposed to hard coded server names, because you may just need to update the alias on your DNS server.

• Check if the connection attempt made it to the SQL Server or not. You can use profiler to catch failed logins. If there isn’t any failed login when you run your app, then you should work with your network admin (and firewall admin) to find out why you can’t reach that server

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Hi Guys,

I tried in ODBC with my domain\user, and 'sa' user and both can connect succesfully.

Also I can connect to other applications/databases running in the same server...

• In which case I would focus on the application and any configurations this may have. See if there are any system DSNs on the server that the app runs from or if there are any config files that store the details of where the database is hosted.

I'm assuming that this is a 3rd party app, but if it's an in-house app then ask your developers.

• Thank you so much guys!!

It was some changes on the application, I had to deal with the Application consultants in order to let me know where I need to change those missing setups...and now is done.

Thanks!

• Junior_DBA (10/19/2008)

Hi Guys,

I am still testing, I tried changing accounts in "Services" to a domain account, I reboot the computer, I add under Local Security Policy "act as operating system", and " log on as a service"...but I get the same error....please help??:crying:

In SQL 2005, you should make these changes using 'SQL Server Configuration Manager'. It should allocate the correct permissions to the account.

Is this a web application trying to connect to SQL server?

Can you connect using Management Studio to the instance of SQL Server?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure what type of problem we're trying to solve.

But I'm easily confused......

Greg E

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply