Windows Application Log indicates error with script, but script succeeded

• Hi all,

Got a bizarre error. In my Windows Application Log, I see errors similar to the following:

Event Type:Error

Event Source:SQLISPackage

Event Category:None

Event ID:12291

Date:12/18/2012

Time:6:00:12 AM

User:[UserName]

Computer:[ComputerName]

Description:

Package "[PackageName]" failed.

Now, in the actual package, I have several levels of error handling, and logging. If I examine the output of a particular package, I see that the proper files are produced and modifications are made, and if I examine my log table, I see a log entry indicating success.

But still, the Windows Application Log says that there was an error.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

For reference, my SSIS packages are built, and the .DTSX files are executed using xp_cmdshell, using dtexec, with the following parameters: /MAXCONCURRENT " -1 " /CHECKPOINTING OFF /REPORTING E. The packages are run from a SQL Server Agent Job. The job has notifications set to send an email and log to the Windows Application Log if there is an error - however, only the Windows Application Log shows the error, there is no email sent, nor are there any traces of error in the script functions.

• Packages do not necessarily fail on a single error. They can have failure logic built in and still complete, but if an error bubbles up, it is returned to the caller.

You should produce a more detailed log of the package execution, not just rely on the return status of the job that calls it. This might help you out: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+%28SSIS%29/95353/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply