Will Virtual Machines slow down T-SQL queries??

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/13/2010)

Gianluca, you ought to play with the newer Hyper-V or VMWare systems. The hypervisors are world's beyond 6 years ago. The last 2-3 years have seen incredible performance improvements and a relatively low penalty for being in VM.

I'll have to look at that. Seems very promising for quick'n'dirty dev/test environments.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/13/2010)

let us know if you find something.

Sure , Jones!

If it's a dev box, I'd be wary of load testing under VMs. You want to load test on close-to-production-sizes.

Oh yes, we got a fresh back-up from the PROD team, restored them on the DEV boxes (both Virtual and Physical M/C's) and then started with our testing! so dev= prod, but with access to "cracks" like me :-D!

😎

• just to throw my thought out there. We are currently running several DB boxes on VMWare with great success. VMware offers a few benefits I thought I would point out.

Performance wise you can actually see an improvement depending on your setup. In our case we saw an improvement on some of our servers. VMWare enables you to align servers in a cluster and the resources are shared in a pool. If you have a high traffic sql server you may benefit from utilizing the pool of resources that would be available in a vm setup. you can also set priority for your vm servers. In our case we set our DB servers with high priority so that they will always get the higher amount of resources from the pool then say a file and print server or a global catalog server.

you can also setup a very reliable DR model using vm. using several VMWare products we have our servers setup to fail over to an alternate site if anything happens to the main site. Since we store all our database data on a san and the vm image is replicated to the backup site the VMWare center can failover to the backup bring up the vm and even reconnect the san luns. In testing this has happened so flawlessly that no change was even noticeable.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply