Will there be a SQL 11 R2?

• I work at a nonprofit. Non-profits are always cash challenged, and in today's economy it is worse than I have ever seen it. We've not had pay raises in 3 years, and won't get one this year, making it 4 years straight with no additional compensation. When I bring in training to my boss, he just laughs in my face (kindly, mind you, because he really wishes he could help us with training). Conferences, business related travel, user groups, SQL Saturdays; all are a dream. So, when it comes to upgrading our version of SQL Server (currently we're using SQL 2005), it's just hasn't happened, due to the fact that we're so poor we can't even pay attention, as the saying goes. In fact, even when we did have money, we still didn't upgrade with each new version of SQL Server. We went from SQL Server 7 straight to SQL Server 2005.

But SQL Server 2005 is getting kind of old. And I have SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition on my development box, and frankly love it. I really wish we had some of the capabilies built into SQL 2008 R2 T-SQL editing environment, for example, in SQL 2005. So, I've begun hearing that Microsoft maybe getting ready to release a new version of SQL Server, this year. SQL 2011, or SQL 11 for short. That's exciting, and perhaps we can muster up enough cash to get it (being a small shop we're just using Standard Edition). But the thing that gets to me, is how Microsoft came out with SQL Server 2008, and then shortly afterwards came out with SQL Server 2008 R2. What's up with that? Supposing they do release SQL Server 2011 this year, will they then quickly release a SQL Server 2011 R2 version later? When you're as cash strapped as we are, these questions are of supreme importance.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Who knows whether they will or not. I can say that the 2008 R2 release was quite tactical in order to get some more traction in Business Intelligence rather than being a core database release, so I don't think most SQL 2008 users feel that they are being left behind by a shiny new version (I find most shops haven't bothered jumping up to R2).

Customers who purchased Software Assurance with their SQL 2008 licenses were free to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 free of charge, so it would be worth considering costing this in when you do make your purchase.

Also bear in mind that the release date of SQL 11 has not been announced, so I would make my decisions on what's available now rather than what's round the corner (there's always something new around the corner).

FYI - if you like intellisense (the T-SQL auto-complete stuff in SSMS) see if your company can rub a few pennies together to get a Red Gate SQL Prompt license, which is a 3rd party tool that does the same job but better and works on 2000/2005 as well.

• Rod at work (4/12/2011)

SQL 2011, or SQL 11 for short.

It's referred to as SQL 11 because the major version number is 11. SQL 2008 was version 10.0, SQL 2008 R2 was version 10.5. SQL 11 (code named Denali) is version 11.0, hence SQL 11. It's not short for 2011. No release data has been set and no official name has been given to it. Currently the product is code name Denali and that's the only official name it has.

It may release this year, it may not. No one knows yet. There's only one CTP currently available for it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/21/2011)

Rod at work (4/12/2011)

SQL 2011, or SQL 11 for short.

It's referred to as SQL 11 because the major version number is 11. SQL 2008 was version 10.0, SQL 2008 R2 was version 10.5. SQL 11 (code named Denali) is version 11.0, hence SQL 11. It's not short for 2011. No release data has been set and no official name has been given to it. Currently the product is code name Denali and that's the only official name it has.

It may release this year, it may not. No one knows yet. There's only one CTP currently available for it.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for that information, Gail. It could be 2012, then, before Denali is available.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work (4/21/2011)

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for that information, Gail. It could be 2012, then, before Denali is available.

Possible. Educated guesses put it this year, because MS has made lots of noise about a 3-year release cycle, and August (I think) will be 3 years since 2008, but they are just educated guesses.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply