Will it eat the Performance or not..?

• Hi Every One,

Select col1,col2,col3 from TableA a

left join dbo.fn_split(@parameter1,',')b on a.col1 = b.element

left join dbo.....

where a.col1 = case when @parameter1 = '' then a.col1 else b.element end

and a.col2 = case ....

and a.col3 = ...

The above mentioned is my sample coding, it works like an inner join if we pass any parameters, if we are not passing any parameters it will as it is like left join this thing i did for to avoid the dynamic..

Like that i am adding lot parameters for the same table

will it eats the performance

Thanks in Advance...

• Its better to anlyze it through Query execution plan.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2006/query-execution-plan-analysis/

• sumitagarwal781 (2/23/2012)

Its better to anlyze it through Query execution plan.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2006/query-execution-plan-analysis/

Instead of using this code, is there any other way round....

Please....

• You haven't explained what you are doing well enough for us to determine if there is another way to code this.

You'd need to provide more information on how the query is structured, and what it is intending. Left joins are different than inner joins. The addition of parameters doesn't usually change that.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/23/2012)

You haven't explained what you are doing well enough for us to determine if there is another way to code this.

You'd need to provide more information on how the query is structured, and what it is intending. Left joins are different than inner joins. The addition of parameters doesn't usually change that.

I am generating a report.it contains lot of filter's to display the report... they can able to select the multiple values and they are sending like a string '1,2,3,4' like this.. now what i am doing by using the split function i am putting the left join. and finally in where clause i am giving the case condition.. if they sending the values it will works like a inner join, if not it will fetch all the records from the actual table... like this i am having 15 filters like comma separated...

so for all these i am putting left join with the split function...

Help me out 🙂

• I know we have a language barrier here, but you're not providing details. You should provide the procedure code, and explain more clearly (we can't see your environment), what data is being requested, what the parameters will be, and what tables will be selected from.

You need to provide more code and details, not more summaries.

• will it eats the performance

To answer this question:

It depends on the code behind the split function. As long as it is not an in-line-table valued function, the answer most definitely definitely is yes.

It also looks like you're planning to design a catch-all-query[/url]. This might further degrade performance.

If you need any further assistance, please provide ready to use sample data as described in the first link in my signature together with your expected result based on those sample data.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply