will backup job be aborted or not?

• Hi seniors,

Could you please confirm me that while failingover the cluster from one node to another node then what will happen to the running backup job? will it be aborted or sql server able to manage to continue the job?

much appriciated....

regards,

Kirs

• If the job is running when the cluster fails over the job will fail.

• The backup will fail, however (and you will need to test this), I believe that it may not SHOW as having failed when you check the job status after the system comes up on the backup node.

• I think it shows as cancelled. But I completely agree it will die.

CEWII

• Thanks for the reply all of you guys...

could you please tell me is there any way to overcome this situation. I dont want to leave my job in a failed status. how can I able to continue the backup task.

thanks,

Kris

• First thing that comes to mind, a start up stored procedure that checks for any backups that failed/cancelled and restarts the job(s). Not sure how you would implement that off hand.

• There isn't really a continue, you have to restart the job. You could create an auto-start sql-agent job that looks at recent job statuses and restarts all backup jobs that appear cancelled within like 10 minutes.

However, you might be putting more into this than is warranted. The idea is that this should happen hardly ever and if it does occur due to a scheduled outage that you should schedule it when jobs aren't running..

If your server is failing over regularly failed backups is NOT your largest problem..

CEWII

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply