Will a trigger work

• Hello - I need some help with triggers. I have a table for inventory that includes the employee name and employee number. My objective is that when I enter the TM_Number to the table, I need a trigger to pull their name out of Active Directory and update the table. I have included the Active Directory query that will pull the required data I need, and a script for the table with some data.

Originally, this was a simple Access database that has grown. I have tried to use Access but can not access the Active Directory at all. The TM_Number is a new column and the Workstation_User name has been entered first then last, or last then first, or not at all. There is no correlation between this database and Active Directory.

I have the Active Directory linked to the database but when I try to create the trigger the query errors out. Any help would be appreciated.

--Create the Table and populate

create table WorkstationX(

Workstation_PK int,

name varchar (50),

Service_Tagvarchar (50),

Workstation_User varchar (50),

TM_Numbervarchar (50))

insert into WorkstationX (Workstation_PK, name, Service_Tag, Workstation_User, TM_Number)

values (1, 'HMM-PC-001', 'XW40420', '', '')

GO

insert into WorkstationX (Workstation_PK, name, Service_Tag, Workstation_User, TM_Number)

values (2, 'HMM-PC-021', 'XW14420', '', '')

GO

values (3, 'HMM-PC-031', 'XW24020', '', '')

GO

values (4, 'HMM-PC-041', 'XW80026', '', '')

GO

values (5, 'HMM-PC-051', 'XW70060', '', '')

GO

values (6, 'HMM-PC-061', 'XW90620', '', '')

GO

select * from WorkstationX

--Active Directory Query

SELECT samAccountName As TM_Number

,displayName AS Workstation_User

FROM OPENQUERY(ADSI, '

SELECT samAccountName, displayName

FROM ''LDAP://DC=ABCD,DC=WXYZ,DC=net''

WHERE objectClass=''user'' AND objectClass<>''computer''

') AS tblADSI

--UserList data

TM_Number Workstation_User

HMM103310 Smith, Luke C HMMA/General Purchasing

HMM100517 Jones, Phillip M HMMA/Plant Engineering

HMM101223 Johnson, Jeremy HMMA/Network Admin

HMM100275 Jackson, Alfred HMMA/Plant Engineering

HMM102854 Kilroy, Jimmy S HMMA/Paint

HMM103518 Kiln, ShaNada D HMMA/General Purchasing

• Instead of trying to store the AD data in the table, why not just query that when you need it?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Management wants the inventory database complete. They are leasing computers and have a need to know who has what computer and their location. We are leasing around 2500 here and another 1000 at a different location.

• I don't think a trigger is the place to do this. Instead, I'd build a job that can read AD, and update changed rows once a day. Knowing who owns the computer might be good, but it's not necessarily a real-time need. And it's not something that should prevent someone from entering data.

Use a process (or even a reminder) to update this periodically

• Thanks, Steve. I was thinking along the same lines. I'll see if management will go along. If not, I may still need some help.

• For what it's worth, I agree with Steve. Even if you query AD multiple times throughout the day using this process to update the table, it would be better than using a trigger in this scenario.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply