Wildcard % % Performance

• Hi

I have a legacy application that uses a like %searchvalue% condition.

I have looked at using a computed column with reverse(column_like_is_used_on) which also has an index on the computed column.

The sql is then “select column from table where reverse_column like reverse(‘%searchstring’)

Which means the like is now “where reverse_column like ‘gnirtshcraes%’

This will use an index seek but the problem is for it to work I need to use substring or a left to get the rest of the start of the string for it to work and I get an index scan.

Really I want to get a fully qualified vale from the legacy app to use in the sql but it’s difficult to change it so any advice is appreciated thanks

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• alic wrote:

This will use an index seek but the problem is for it to work I need to use substring or a left to get the rest of the start of the string for it to work and I get an index scan.

I guess I'm not understanding why you think you'd need to do that.  Please post the code you're actually using.  A table definition would help, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply