Why would derived column component remove rows?

• I have about 6 mil rows in my data flow, and a derived column component right before sending rows to staging. The DC bats cleanup, replacing Null keys with -1 (our unknown member) as we do not allow nulls (ClientKey for example).

This is not a new component, it has been in place in this package for quite a while. It has never changed the number the rows before, just this time. And it stole about 500k rows, so not a trivial issue.

My error output is Fail Component for error or truncation for all 5 instances.

Not sure if this is related, but we have been experiencing some serious network latency, so this package took 3 times as long as it normally does. this is from VS environment.

• uh, even odder - the correct number of rows went to staging, the wrong number of records is shown in the flow.

Please ignore post, it's a non-issue (aside from untrustable flow numbers)...

• herladygeekedness (4/25/2012)

uh, even odder - the correct number of rows went to staging, the wrong number of records is shown in the flow.

Please ignore post, it's a non-issue (aside from untrustable flow numbers)...

Never never trust the BIDS designer. Ever. 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Yeah, so I'm coming to find out!!! S'ok, knowledge of shortcomings and Known Funks is good...

I had just never seen the data flow numbers be SO OFF. Given that I have a deduping script higher in the flow, bossman grew gray hair right before my eyes as he figured my deduper must have gone on a rampage...

no, look, it got down to exact right number we need from my script, something else got hungry!

• A Rampaging Deduper - who said IT can't be exciting?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply