Why we need DQS when we have SSIS ?

• I happen to read about DQS . I have not worked on it . But whatever description MSDN provided about DQS is that it provide data cleansing.

Now when we have SSSI for data cleansing, why do we need DQS. Any floks over here have worked on DQS for any specific need that cannot be fulfilled with the help of SSIS.

• In DQS you can maintain a knowledge base. For example, you can store that NY must be automatically converted to New York. It can also correct New Yokr to New York.

You can also define rules (zip codes must be x digits long for example) and so on. You can also integrate with data sets from the Azure Marketplace, such as the Melissa data set for US addresses.

All this can be done through a GUI by a business person (the data steward), instead of an IT developer.

You can do a lot of things with SSIS, but you'll have to code it yourself and if you want to maintain a knowledge base you need to create a database yourself and so on. And only IT developers can touch it...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply