Why Upgrade?

• For us the most compelling reason to upgrade right now is the Analysis Services speed improvement. I could achieve a 10 fold speed improvement with SQL2005 versus SQL2000. We have a lot of regional and home office users that could barely use SQL2000 cubes due to speed issues.

This consideration alone justify the migration from both a business and a technical point of view.

SQL2005 is a great product. I know that the SP1 is badly needed and will require another round of intensive testing as well as re-write, mainly on the ssis and agent side where I found things un-easy to manage. Watch your data very closely!

Philippe

BI Guy

• We have some 200+ instances of SQL Server to consider upgrading.  Currently we're in the train-up and compatibility phase where our monitoring tools and support functions go through the gauntlet.  I would expect we would not be ready to begin upgrading until late March at the earliest.  We're taking into account licensing issues, training, support, third-party tool compatibility, and application readiness.  Sure we've been toying around with SQL 2005 and see several places where it will benefit us.  Microsoft however has a track record of releasing a service pack shortly after GA releases of any product it seems.  So we're hoping that within our evaluation and ramp-up time the first set of bugs will be worked out and a few books and best practices found.  With all of the security changes that have taken place we have to step back and re-evaluate Corporate Information Security policies and guidelines to make sure we're compliant.

So in the end we're anxious to get an upgrade path rolling and have everything taken care of by EOY 2007 (when MS Mainstream Support for SQL 2000 retires I believe). We're taking it slow and cautious for implementing an upgrade path while maintaining new deployments, redesiging shared infrastructure systems, and the like.  I would expect this will begin happening 2Q06.

• I will definately be upgrading my Reporting Services server, once my testing is complete, due to one factor alone, Report Builder! Now I control the database exposeure through the data source and let the users create their own reports.

• One of my pet peeves with 2000 was the inability to create user-defined roles and grant more granular DDL actions to a user (none of the 'alter' commands, for example, could be granted independently), leaving the only option of granting the DBO role if you needed a user to have more than DML access.   2005 has a much finer level of granularity with regards to roles/permissions that I will certianly be taking advantage of.  Even MySQL got this right out of the box....

Regardless, I'm sure 2000 will be de-supported by Q4 '06 anwyay, so like it or not, we'll all have to upgrade.

-kpw

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply