Why the row size is different when reading from different places?

• I want to know what is the maximum rows size of my table to figure how much of my data has passed the page size. I tried 3 different queries and ended up with 2 different results.

I'd like to know why sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats -> max_record_size_in_byte is different than what I get from sum(datalength(records))

To be clear, sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats -> max_record_size_in_byte tells me that the max size is 8,061 while summing the datalengths gives me 72,151 which is almost 10 times bigger

declare @table nvarchar(128)
    declare @idcol nvarchar(128)
    declare @sql nvarchar(max)

--initialize those two values
    set @table = 'assets'
    set @idcol = 'tenantid,id'

set @sql = 'select ' + @idcol +' , (0'

select @sql = @sql + ' + isnull(datalength([' + name + ']), 1)'
    from sys.columns where object_id = object_id(@table)
    set @sql = @sql + ') as rowsize from ' + @table + ' order by rowsize desc '

PRINT @sql

exec (@sql)

-- This generates select tenantid,id , (0 + isnull(datalength([TenantId]), 1) + isnull(datalength([Id]), 1) + isnull(datalength([CreatedBy]), 1) + isnull(datalength([UpdatedBy]), 1) + isnull(datalength([Created]), 1) + ... as rowsize from assets order by rowsize desc
    ---
    dbcc showcontig (@table) with tableresults

--
    SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (DB_ID(N'[testDB]'), OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Assets]'), NULL, NULL , 'DETAILED')

[3ee08837b67c60c87c873d226dfa28b5]_Image 2019-09-25 at 10.53.20 AM

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  ashkan sirous.

Best Regards,
    Ashkan

• What is the definition of the assets table?  My guess is that it contains off-row data.  Have a read of this.  I quote:

For an index, one row is returned for each level of the B-tree in each partition. For a heap, one row is returned for the IN_ROW_DATA allocation unit of each partition. For large object (LOB) data, one row is returned for the LOB_DATA allocation unit of each partition. If row-overflow data exists in the table, one row is returned for the ROW_OVERFLOW_DATA allocation unit in each partition.

John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply