Why Steve Jones'' Editorials Suck

• This is a general placeholder for complaints about the editorials. If you just don't like them in general, like this one, rather than complaining in general in that thread, drop a note here.

I shall endeavor to respond to all posts, although I will admit this will not be the highest priority item on my list.

• Having some editorials off topic devalues the site to many IT pros, especially outside the US (and there is a world outside the US! ), as most of the recently published off-top editorials dealt with local issues. I think the newsletter is drifting at the moment and requires firmer grip in positioning it to your target audience of SQL Server professionals. Generally I think the newsletter and the site are great and definitely adding value to the worldwide SQL Server community.

Hope you don't mind me being direct,

Anatol Romanov
    SQL Server MCP
    Sydney, Australia
    http://www.fitbits.com.au
  • I wish that the editorial was included in the home page of the site.

It adds a bit of variety and is a reminder that there is a human being behind the site and not a bunch of accountants.

It isn't compulsory to read the editorial.

• Personally I like the off topic stuff, the rest of the newsletter etc covers all the technical stuff.  Good work Steve!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• Agree with David and bond007.  There is SQL Server content in all other parts of the newsletter, the articles being the first item and probably the most content.

I see the editorial as a bit of a break from it - the occasionally off-topic human side of SSC.  And let's not forget it's very often on-topic.

If I want 100% SQL Server content I can scroll up to the articles.  But the editorial gives a bit of a light-hearted relief and helps break up the day.

• Yeah, I like them too in general. Although some of the 'off topic' Editorials deal with local things, the same issues (globalisation, offshoring, lousy employers, takeovers destoying good businesses) affect us all.

Personally though Steve I'd like to see less about the Denver Broncos and more about Arsenal Football Club (that's soccer to you Yanks)!

• Hmm, it's your site, you're the editor, you can write the editorials you want! The risk you run, however, is that pushing your opinions on social, economic, and moral issues as "fact" in a public forum will turn readers away - the editorial is often/usually the largest part of the newsletter! I suspect this is more of an issue to foreign readers as Anatol noted - I'm one of them, but then again so is Peter!

http://poorsql.com for T-SQL formatting: free as in speech, free as in beer, free to run in SSMS or on your version control server - free however you want it.

• I think we all know nerds who are FANTASTIC at SQL, but can't muster a decent conversation with their workmates.  It's all about being human, being a good person - Steve Jones has an opportunity to voice his concerns and I would too if I had his platform.  There's much more to life than SQL, and I live in the UK and find topics about America fascinating. You can learn something new everyday.

BTW, I'd just like to thank Steve Jones for all the pleasure he has provided me over the years when he played guitar in the Sex Pistols...... cheers mate!

• Steve,

Your editorials don't suck but your grasp of the metric system does.

"Can you imagine a huge crystal cube in your data center, something on the order of 1 cubic foot, or 929 square centimeters for the less metrically challenged than I."

1 square foot would be about 929 square centimeters but a cubic foot would be about 28.3 litres.

Best regards,

Rod.

• The technical info is great and the editorials don't suck.     Your self-objectivity and humility is appreciated and duly noted, though.

I look forward to the human interest/opinions and read all of them.  Many of the links and articles you provide there have been quite interesting - good fodder for discussion with my co-workers.  Especially agree with P.Wright - the subjects you bring up affect us all - therefore they are worthy of discussion.

You take us the same places that a chat with a co-worker would.  Its like having an online 'friend/co-worker' who shares the same technical skills and interests.

Thank you for providing it!

• I personally have enjoyed many of the editorials (and tend to agree with your opinions, which is scary for you). 

DBAs don't tend to be locked in closets, we need to be project managers, business analysts and a wear a host of other hats that involved dealing with people an having a fair grasp of social/economic/political issues to be competent; it helps with intra office chatter.

Keep it up, maybe label the editorial off topic so the thin-skinned readers can opt out.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Cheers
    http://twitter.com/widba
    http://widba.blogspot.com/

• I have to honestly say that the thing I like best about the daily newsletter in my inbox is your editorials. I think they are cool and interesting.

Thanks,

Aleksei

A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

• I am in agreement that the editorials are something to look forward to each day. I also agree that it is also something my fellow coworkers (they are on the daily email too) will talk about now and then. There is more than enough technical stuff to read on the site so the editorial doesn't need to be in the guts of it as well. Keep doing what you are doing!

• I dislike "me too" posts, but here is another one.  If I'm not interested in an off-topic issue, I move on.  Heck - I have no need for certain features of SQL, so I skip those articles as well. 

As to the local flavor of some articles - we are all victims of where we spend most of our lives.  If Steve starts posting on left-handed Peruvian guanaco hair dryers, then I may skip it.  And then again, maybe I won't.  [start soapbox] IMHO DBAs are expected to be able to think - not just regurgitate SQL commands.  Stretching the mind is usually a good thing.  The only things that break during stretching are your limitations.  [end soapbox]

Keep up the good work.  Steve should take heart from the responses - all seem positive so far, and any criticisms have been leveld constructively.

Larry

• I'm (sorta) repeating what I said in the other (Walmart) post...nobody's being held hostage - no one's holding guns to our heads - we're all free to browse and read the forums that interest us and bypass those that're not worth even half a minute of attention span - on a site where the SQL topics and forums abound and the non-SQL forums are kept minimal (last count was a great big whopping TWO) it's easy to be a dedicated SQL Junkie and get your daily SQL fix - just keep those blinkers on and stay focused - for those of us who prefer to go through Life sans blinkers Steve's editorials are just the ticket - we get the best of both worlds - one where SQL Server rules and the other where a group of people bound by common interests come together to discuss/debate a wide spectrum of subjects...

I've come to view the editorials as a kind of "thought for the day" - each day brings with it something new to reflect upon and I appreciate the time and thought that have been invested in each one of them - keep them coming Steve....

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply