Why rebuild index doesn't work properly?

• HI All,

I am rebuilding index on a table which has high index fragmentation.

After running the query the index is not getting defragmented.

For the particular table clustered index is also present.

Details of the table is as follows

Name - File

rows - 12451

reserved - 3984 KB

data - 3632 KB

index_size - 328 KB

unused size -24 KB

will size matter while rebuilding index ?

• manohar-718845 (10/1/2009)

will size matter while rebuilding index ?

Yes, it does. A 300K index is really a small one.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • to finish Paul's thought: rebuild basically doesn't do much in the way of rebuilding if the indexes are under a certain size (since the entire index will be in memory, there's no point in spending the effort).

Paul Randal at some point in the past mentioned some index sizes (something like 1000 pages) after which the rebuild starts to be a LOT more aggressive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply