Why need Sql 7 client Config Utility?

• After installing the Sql 7 client on a users machine I have to tweak the "SQL Client Utility" to point them to the intended Sql server. Otherwise they can't connect. Why is that necessary? The clients and server are on the same TCP/IP (same subnet) network. You'd think the Sql server name could be resolved by broadcast alone.

• Actually the client software sets a set of values in the registry and I have successfully put out several apps without the use of the client. As far as resolving thru broadcast, think about how many broadcasts occurr right now and consider if everything worked that way. Plus you gain a small bit of security in making it harder to find them.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• quote:

You'd think the Sql server name could be resolved by broadcast alone.

Is WINS in the picture? If so, it may be resolving the name with the WINS server first, then going to broadcast if that doesn't work. Remember, all that is taking time on your user connection attempt.

Also, Named Pipes isn't very efficient for network connections, which is why TCP/IP is usually selected. You'll see timeout errors with Named Pipes with the setup you are seeing that you won't see with TCP/IP. We've seen this in several environments. So our standard is to put clients to use TCP/IP as the primary netlib. Only if something is up does it drop back to Named Pipes.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• What does "tweak" mean? what did you do?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• By "tweak", all I mean is that I set an alias to the sql server and specify that the alias use TCP/IP protocol.

• You should be abl to just connect using whatever method you want and giving the server name. The default might be for clients to use Named Pipes, but other than that, you should be able to set the default netlib for tcp/ip

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply