Why @@MAX_CONNECTIONS is Nondeterministic Functions

• Hi,

@@MAX_CONNECTIONS:

Returns the maximum number of simultaneous user connections allowed on an instance of SQL Server.

This means that user connection has been configure by using sp_configure.Once we are configured then it is not going to change until we change manually.Then why it is said as Nondeterministic Functions.

Thanks
    Parthi

• Because you can change it manually...

Anything that can ever return a different value without you providing a different set of parameters is non-deterministic by definition.

• If so then we can change the default language also which is @@LANGUAGE ,if we run this it will return as us_english or what ever it has been configured,if so then it should also be a Nondeterministic Functions but it is not then how cum @@max_connections alone 😀 😀 :w00t: :w00t:

Thanks
    Parthi

• parthi-1705 (5/3/2011)

If so then we can change the default language also which is @@LANGUAGE ,if we run this it will return as us_english or what ever it has been configured,if so then it should also be a Nondeterministic Functions but it is not then how cum @@max_connections alone 😀 😀 :w00t: :w00t:

@@Language is non-deterministic.

From Books Online:

All the configuration, cursor, metadata, security, and system statistical functions are nondeterministic.

@@Language is a configuration function, it's clearly listed under that category in BoL (see Configuration Functions (Transact-SQL) )

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for that point.I am wondering i missed that line.:-D 😀 .I just have glance on Deterministic and Nondeterministic Functions there i suddenly found that @@Max_Connections as NonDeterministic Functions and was wondering that how cum? even though if we run as many times it will will return same as 32767 which we can configured with sp_configure.Thats why i got more confused and posted here.And finally it is clear that All the configuration, cursor, metadata, security, and system statistical functions are nondeterministic..

Once again thanks for the valid point.

Thanks
    Parthi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply