Why Is It Complicated?

• Overall any backup and recovery is complicated in complicated cases - but many cases are not complicated and the GUI interface despised by some is generally easy to use and relatively fool proof - even when used by non experts.

The comment was made regarding Oracle and complexity. I have before me my Oracle RMAN (Recovery manager) reference manual - all 332 pages of it. RMAN can do sophisticated things but boy its a pain as even simple things are complicated and error prone unless you are working with it every day. Give me sql-server every time.

• Ed Dee (11/3/2009)

Overall any backup and recovery is complicated in complicated cases - but many cases are not complicated and the GUI interface despised by some is generally easy to use and relatively fool proof - even when used by non experts.

The comment was made regarding Oracle and complexity. I have before me my Oracle RMAN (Recovery manager) reference manual - all 332 pages of it. RMAN can do sophisticated things but boy its a pain as even simple things are complicated and error prone unless you are working with it every day. Give me sql-server every time.

Amen to that.

A 332 page manual just on how to recover a database. Say no more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald-364359 (11/3/2009)

A 332 page manual just on how to recover a database. Say no more.

to be fair, it does cover backup as well 🙂

• If you think SQL Server is bad, try working with Team Foundation Server - its supposed to be a simple system for managing code, and yet Microsoft has once again loaded it down with tons of features no one needs, and endlessly complex interfaces for the most simple of activities.

I agree TFS is complicated because it uses Windows SharePoint Services to store documents and uses SQL Server Enterprise edition features while it ships with SQL Server Standard.

These are some of the reasons I still use Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g as a developer not admin while in SQL Server I do both.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply