Why I am Excited about SQL Server on Linux

• chrisn-585491 - Friday, March 3, 2017 6:53 AM

How would one replace SSMS with a native Linux or cross platform app? Would SMO + C# even work on Linux?

I just don't see a need to replace SSMS.  It is a client which can still be ran from the windows desktop.  Linux is only needed for the server level, to host the database.

Now if you wanted to run a single machine model, like some developers do with SQL Server express edition and SSMS on their personal machine, then yeah, some allowanaces have to be made.  In that case one could run windows and SSMS withing a VM on the Linux box I guess.  Or else use one of the many third party Java based SQL clients like SQL Squirrel or Aquadata Studio.

• Great editorial & great points. I don't see myself using SQL Server on Linux in my current organization, but the idea of being able to use SQL Server instead of MySQL for a website (say) - I'd be interested. I've used SQL Server on its own hardware, as well as in VMs, in Azure & on Server Core, and while all are different, most of my work is inside SQL Server and so the underlying system isn't that impactful to me. Hopefully Linux will be the same way. It's not like I'm a Windows or VM or Azure expert anyway.

Leonard
    Madison, WI

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply