Why Does SHRINKFILE Page Latch on a page in a different File?

• I am running a DBCC SHRINKFILE on "FILE1" of a database (it has fileid = 1)...intent is to remove 70GB of file space:

DBCC SHRINKFILE (N'FILE1' , 400000).

For the SPID that's doing the shrink, In activity monitor you can see:

Waittype: PAGEIOLATCH_EX on resource: 9:3:15411328

(the DB is dbid=9)

But why does it need a page from fileid=3? Are there page dependencies between files that prevent moving a page within a given file? Does it need that fileid3 page to come along?

Its just sitting there in the SUSPENDED state for the last hour....I am going to leave it another 5 hours or so before cancelling.

the dm_exec_requests has an estimated percent complete at 83% and holding....not sure if I can believe that.

NOTE: I know about shrinking in increments to get something done....don't need that advice.

I know shrinking is not a good thing to do as a rule due to fragmentation....don't need that advice either.

I would like feedback on this particular issue....PAGEIOLATCH on a page in another file during a SHRINKFILE of a different file.

Thanks

• SORRY, put this in wrong forum....is SQL2012 not SQL2005 and didn't realize the context I was in....I will add this to a SQL2012 forum instead. Consider this closed. Sorry don't know if there is a button I need to hit to make this formally closed.

Thanks for your patience

New thread posted here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1723645-2799-1.aspx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply