why does server keep reporting db is offline?

• We set a database offline because there was a process eating up available resources and, while this is not the best policy, it nipped the resource issue. I just have one question. If the server, who routinely sends me messages on blocking, deadlocks, number of pages used....why is it sending me messages that the database is offline? Is this just a "hey there, database is still offline random notification thing" or is the very bad resource hog process looking for the database and causing the server to report to the dba that it's offline?

• I guess to answer that one would have to look at the server that's sending you that info and see what it's set up to send, when and how. None of what you mention (blocking, deadlocks, number of pages used) is sent automatically, someone's st up a custom process.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I know you can configure performance counters to monitor the system and send alerts based on the condition. I know this can handle blocks and deadlocks, but I don't know about offline databases. Go into Computer Management...Performance Logs and Alerts...Alerts and see if there's any alerts have been created.

If there aren't any alerts present, look for a database job or a scheduled task that someone wrote to check for this type of thing. Keep in mind that these are complete guesses, since we can't see what you see.

• I do know that alerts are set up for me to see in that future dba kinda way. I just was curious because I got two of these messages this morning and as I am not physically at the company, I can't go around and ask is this your database? to everyone in the IT department. I will check the logs and thanks!

• PGarberick (11/27/2013)

I do know that alerts are set up for me to see in that future dba kinda way. I just was curious because I got two of these messages this morning and as I am not physically at the company, I can't go around and ask is this your database? to everyone in the IT department. I will check the logs and thanks!

You don't have to find out who owns the database, just where the alerts are coming from. If there's a problem, the owner of the database will find you or someone else to take care of the problem. It could be that a DBA took the database offline for a reason, but if there's a real problem, people tend to find it (and then us) quickly.

• Something like SCOM (System Center Operations Manager) can be set up to respond to pretty much anything written into the event log. Although usually with SCOM, you would get a link to the main server.

We used to even look for events in certain time windows.

So if our AS400 RPC call to start our SQL Server ETL run had not been done by 2am, we were alerted to see why things were running late.

Very good check and balance when something might just be waiting for something else, and no error is generated.

Every environment is different, and there are many ways to creatively trigger messages.

Also along the same line, how to know when a message has been resolved can vary.

You will have to dig a bit, and maybe ask some of your coworkers.

In our case, network admins actually set up the messaging. We just supplied the rules.

In your case, it sounds like a DBA set something up.

First places I might look is for an SQL Agent Job, or a Windows scheduler job.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply