Why changing the order of network protocols does not make any sense?

• All I want to do is to connect to SQL Server though Named Pipes without using an explicit way like NP:ServerName because mentioned approach works. I want to connect through Named Pipes using just ServerName and give a SQL Server a chance to choose the right network protocol. So I have 3 VMs:

What I did step by step:

1. In Server Configurations of SQL Server A I enabled all network protocols.

2. I am also familiar with the Order column, however, changing it appears to have no affect. I swapped the order of TCP/IP and Named Pipes: 

3. I tried to connect from SQL Server B into SQL Server A using Computer Name(WIN-VKHOKLJ3IJG) and I hoped that it will use Named Pipes protocol but unfortunately it chose TCP/IP as a connection protocol:

Could someone explain why TCP/IP was chosen instead of Named Pipes? According the order, SQL Server should choose Named Pipes but it rather preferred to use TCP/IP.

• Quick thought, is port 445 open on both servers?

😎

• Yes. Ports 139 and 445 opened. An interesting behavior I observe is when I disable TCP/IP protocol then everything works as I wanted. So, I am able to connect using named pipes. However, when I enable TCP/IP, sql server automatically chooses TCP/IP regardless of the order I defined.

• It seems that defining the protocol order in Server Configurations does not matter, sql server will choose TCP/IP as default.

• My thought is that the NP will be packaged in a TCP/IP packet over the network, adds an overhead so it reverts to pure TCP/IP by default, not certain though.

😎

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply