Why can I see another instance's DB?

• Hello,

I am running 4 instances on a new server. 3 of them are 2005 instances and 1 is a brand spanking new 2008 instance. The 05's are named instances but the 08 is the default.

I logged into the 08 instance and discovered my DB's from the third 05 instance are in my 08 instance. I dug a bit deeper and those DB's are attached to the other instance. So if they are the third 05's DB's, why can I see them on my 08 instance? And why is it only that instance's DBs? Why aren't they all on there?

Thanks!

• Are you sure you did not upgrade the third 05 instance to 08?

Have you verified that the databases in the 08 instance that you are seeing are the same files that you are seeing in the 05 instance? Hint: can't happen unless they are really the same instance...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• AHHH I figured it out.

I went into Config Manager and checked the TCP/IP port. All of my instances (included the 08) had dynamic ports except the third 05 instance. I changed the 05 instance to use dynamic ports and it worked. I wasn't able to view the DB's anymore and was able to attach 08 DB's.

This was pretty weird. Is this a 2008 bug? Anyone come across this before?

• Nothing I've ever seen - and you should not have seen in the 08 instance. My guess is that one of the instances was not started.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I've never seen it either. I did confirm beforehand though that all instances were started and running.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply