Why are we still talking about Women in Tech?

• mbenish245 (10/6/2010)

And I do wish we had younger woemn going into IT. My 16 year old, who I think could be a doctor, lawyer, etc. is looking at journalism. I ty to tell her she could be an IT person and a journalist if she studies IT - look at tgis site - but she can't be both if she studies journalism. She sees IT as something not cool and uncreative. And I agree that career day is uncool. I wish she would go into IT or a health-related profession. I am trying to get her to see that she should get a rare skill that leads to employment, and pursue her "loves" on the side, and that she can tailor her job toward her loves (I am a BI guy who loves numbers which is a natural progression of my love for sports statistics when I was younger).

This is the inadvertent problem, the mirror image of people pushing traditional gender roles on children. Now there is pressure to fill 'unconventional' roles because that seems to be the thing to do, or because the parent would be proud of a mold-defying offspring. You can see it on TV shows where it is almost a cliche that the mechanic, or plumber, or engineer that pops into the story is going to be a woman. But still it's a matter of the parents pressing their (possibly ideologically based) preferences instead of letting the child choose by their gut feelings.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Both my wife and I have tried staying at home at different times. It was hard for both of us, neither of us was well suited for it, and fortunately we both found jobs where we can spend time with the kids.

I would agree that it makes sense for both parents to share the load of parenting, and both consider staying home, if possible. Not that they should, but they ought to consider it. That's what most of this week is about, getting more women to consider their options.

And asking the rest of you to give them consideration as an equal.

• ..instead of letting the child choose by their gut feelings.

Gut feelings...I wonder where they come from? It's all a bit chicken and egg but perhaps we need to applaud atypical role models for giving rise to more wide ranging 'gut feelings' in others.

• Because women are inherently more interesting than men.

• tiomoid (10/7/2010)

Because women are inherently more interesting than men.

Of course they are, to you...you're a dude.

• tiomoid (10/7/2010)

Because women are inherently more interesting than men.

I'm on board with that

It brings up an interesting experience, I was in an auto parts store with my 4 year old grand daughter, who was actually getting pretty mischevious, but smiling and charming her way around the other customers. One of the guys, chuckling at her antics, observed that his son would never get away with that but if he had a daughter...

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply