Who's going to SQL Bits in Liverpool?

• Its looked fun ( from the my twitter feed)... but what was with the star wars theme? Was that the "evening entertainment" ? Hope they do that next year, I want an excuse to wear a yoda face mask.

• I could have been at Bits but oh no I had to go to the party.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/7/2016)

Heading home after a great two days in Liverpool, very good to see you guys again, finally met Gianluca and Hugo, saw Chris, Grant, Steve, Erland, Itzik and quite few others. Well worth it including the brilliant dress up party last night. Looking forward to next years event.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Good to see you and Paul, and sad to miss meeting Gianluca.

Some of those talks will be with me for a long time. Buck Woody (I wasn't planning to go to that talk but somehow ended up there), Thomas LaRock, little Kendra, Kalen Delaney and IBG - simply amazing. Very excited about Query Store and the new CE.

One of the talks is best forgotten, a plug for a half-complete product by an idiot manager with insufficient product knowledge and poor presentation skills. Too little, too soon.

This place was worth a visit. Very cool.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (5/9/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/7/2016)

Heading home after a great two days in Liverpool, very good to see you guys again, finally met Gianluca and Hugo, saw Chris, Grant, Steve, Erland, Itzik and quite few others. Well worth it including the brilliant dress up party last night. Looking forward to next years event.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Good to see you and Paul, and sad to miss meeting Gianluca.

Some of those talks will be with me for a long time. Buck Woody (I wasn't planning to go to that talk but somehow ended up there), Thomas LaRock, little Kendra, Kalen Delaney and IBG - simply amazing. Very excited about Query Store and the new CE.

One of the talks is best forgotten, a plug for a half-complete product by an idiot manager with insufficient product knowledge and poor presentation skills. Too little, too soon.

This place was worth a visit. Very cool.

Half complete product feature? Oh do tell!?

• ChrisM@Work (5/9/2016)

Glad I missed that one:-D

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/7/2016)

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Great fun, sorry we didn't get the chance to chat. A busy week for me

• Really enjoyable few days, lots of excellent presentations, Itzik Ben-Gans was simply brilliant. Also got a chance to briefly meet Grant and Steve.

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Mark Cowne (5/9/2016)

Really enjoyable few days, lots of excellent presentations, Itzik Ben-Gans was simply brilliant. Also got a chance to briefly meet Grant and Steve.

I'd like to have bought you a pint Mark, I've learned a heck of a lot from your posts over the years.

Next time.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• BLOB_EATER (5/9/2016)

Its looked fun ( from the my twitter feed)... but what was with the star wars theme? Was that the "evening entertainment" ? Hope they do that next year, I want an excuse to wear a yoda face mask.

Yes, it was. And sorry, but they change the theme each year. This year was a sci-fi theme (inspired by Bits being the official UK "launch" event for SQL Server 2016). Last year they had a superhero theme (because ... reasons), year before that was Robin Hood styled (because the venue was in Nottingham), etc etc

By the way, I did not really enjoy the party. Very loud music made it impossible to converse with friends and new acquaintances. I'll never understand why conference organisers insist on telling especially all first-timers how important it is to mingle, socialize and expand their networks, then crank the volume to levels that make that completely impossible.

Other than that, I really loved the event. Lots of very good content, lots of very friendly and intelligent people (plus me), loads of fun. I hope to be able to return next year. And all the years after that!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Mark Cowne (5/9/2016)

Really enjoyable few days, lots of excellent presentations, Itzik Ben-Gans was simply brilliant. Also got a chance to briefly meet Grant and Steve.

And it was a pleasure.

Loved Bits. Great event.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Great time, but I agree with Hugo. I've complained a few times at events when they have a band or music that it really makes the time hard for networking. I appreciate wanting to make things festive, but this isn't a dance party or wedding. Have background music, at conversational levels.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply