Who uses the Commvault IdataAgent for sql backups?

• We've tried CommVault SQL Server agent backups, but decided to go back to the SQL Server native backups which backed up later as .bak files using CommVault.

The main reason was that it's too hard to build disaster recovery strategy with CommVault backups. Other reasons:

- backups don't start at the same time (with CommVault backup model that our backup guys provided backup could start at 9 PM or 3 AM next day)

- possibility of human error when restored by non-DBA (as in last Indianrock's post)

- possibility of extra backup that can break recovery strategy when differential backups used

- additional CommVault licenses on all servers where database restore required

- we didn't have enough people trained well on CommVault, so if primary backup person wasn't available it was not easy for other guys to restore the database, so we ended up with granting most of the permissions on CommVault to DBA (on Database servers group)

- also, I didn't get good answer from our backup guys on my question: "What if CommVault server will fail? How long will it take you to recover/rebuild it?".

• I had been worked on CommVault a while, and as a DBA, I think CommVault is working well for SQL 2005, but not for 2000, and no advantage for SQL 2008 since SQL 2008 can compress backup itself.

For the Dev refresh requirement, you may want to create CommVault script, and then create job on SQL, and then grant permission for developer to kick out job. This is complicate process, but can be done. CommVault "online help"(big red button on CommVault Concole) will be the only resource you can use, and their support team is useless on this issue.

Basically, you will have one command file and one input file on hand, which can be edited, and you can do point to time restore on different server.

The Cons are you have to have a CommVault user account to run this, and destination database name can't be changed.

No Signature

• I also do not think you can do object level restores with the Commvault product. If you just need to restore one table you first have to restore the entire database. Our network administrators are trying to get us to switch to Commvault. We are quite happy with our Red Gate SQL Backup product which was designed specifically for SQL backups - not some add on product which was created to sell more Commvault licenses. Oh yeah - and deduplication of my SQL backups makes me nervous. If I do a full backup each night - I want a full backup.

• never used it for SQL, but i remember years ago Commvault was the first to do Active Directory object restore. Netbackup only added this feature last year

• So far every comment above I find no fault in our experience and would highlight that we do NOT allow Commvault to perform anything but file backups and rely solely on SQL for native .bak backups etc. Our only issue is timing with VM snapshots from time to time where IO is frozen.

One side issue [bit off topic] is we are experimenting with Commvault for Oracle and to tell you the truth it has some nice features but getting it to work was an entire learning experience layered on the even simple DR mode.

I want things simple reliable and up to very complex in the toolbox: SQL Maintenance plans and backup/restores and migrations in a very large [over 100 servers with over 60 dbs each] in active-active yada yada many styled environment means: Simple, quick, reliable...stick with the one vendor who controls the engine.

Commvalult for us is great for massively large file backups but wouldn't want to go there for dr recovery, at night, in the rain, flood waters rising etc

• Commvault does provide for dumping to native BKP files its an option on the setup of your backup I believe. I don't think many people use the tool because it is very expensive when you figure in the cost of their infrastructure behind the scenes and if you aren't using a SAN such as EMC or Netapp and fiber channel for your backend you are not going to see the full benefit of the tool. We were told it is as fast as your slowest piece of hardware in the chain. So that could be disk, network Etc, Etc.

• Interesting topic. We are just beginning to implement COMMVAULT for all of our SQL Server and Oracle databases.

• We use all threee: Commvault SQL Agent, LightSpeed and SQL Native Backups (with compression). An issue w/Commvault COULD be the backups are scheduled and may not run when you want them to because of library resources, etc. We really prefer to backup SQL to disk then sweep the disk with the Commvault Filesystem Agent. That way we have backup data available on local server disk when we need it and do not have to pay for the Commvault SQL Agent. Commvault does work it's just a personal preference as the DBA we have more control (yes DBA's are control freaks).

• DeWayne_McCallie (7/17/2014)

We use all threee: Commvault SQL Agent, LightSpeed and SQL Native Backups (with compression). An issue w/Commvault COULD be the backups are scheduled and may not run when you want them to because of library resources, etc. We really prefer to backup SQL to disk then sweep the disk with the Commvault Filesystem Agent. That way we have backup data available on local server disk when we need it and do not have to pay for the Commvault SQL Agent. Commvault does work it's just a personal preference as the DBA we have more control (yes DBA's are control freaks).

I like that idea DeWayne... I just wish we have enough disk space on our servers to backup to local disk and then have COMMVAULT sweep our disks...

• We request and build a B:\ drive for SQL Backups and Perfmon capture data (server and SQL counters) as part of our "default configuration" for our Servers/VMs. The backup disk can be SATA disk on the SAN - save the FC for the SQL containers.

• DeWayne_McCallie (7/18/2014)

We request and build a B:\ drive for SQL Backups and Perfmon capture data (server and SQL counters) as part of our "default configuration" for our Servers/VMs.

Ah, I wondered if that was how you were going to skin that cat.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply