Who Has The Monitor?

• John,

Above in the thread, Steve has added another clue indicating that the middle office is red.

• *The Dual Display will not be any of the displays listed in the clues...

*I would take out the info from your grid where you have multiples because you are unsure, and then plug data back in, one cell at a time, and run it back thru the clue matrix each time...

*I did not spend any time doing up any SQL to figure it out...I found it much more efficient to just use an Excel spreadsheet...12 mins to complete vs all that coding time was not hard to justify for a little brain workout...

wolf

• I agree with Brett.  I'm not so sure it is wasting time enhancing our logic skills.  However, if you really want to waste some time in this area, try playing Sherlock, available at http://www.kaser.com/sherwin.html.

• The solution by Anthony above has the houses I had when I solved it, also what my father in law had. Andy has the Yellow office and the duals. Brian has the Prius, Steve Green, Kevin White. I'll post the complete grid Monday.

• It seems that you are making assumptions that the clues do not explicitly allow.  I admit that I have done the same with the White/Green issue, but I'm not sure that the clues allow you to take the assumptions any further than that.

Maybe I'm wrong.  What do you think Steve?  It's your puzzle...

• ...even in the original clues, blue is far left, and green/white have to be paired, such that it reduces the possible locations nicely

wolf

• Mr. Anthony...

...one issue most people have (me too) with this nice little puzzle, is that they read too much into the clues.

One is give 4 of the 5 possible monitor configs, the only one not given is the Dual.

wolf

• Did I say 2 hours? I meant, uh, 10 minutes, yeah, that's it.

I think RJ was the kid in HS that made me hate my Rubik's cube...

Thanks,

Brett Hacker

• Steve,

Given what you have said above,  here is what I have... (the cells I was unsure of before have the answer highlighted in red.

Name

Sue

Andy

Steve

Brian

Steve

Kevin

Andy

Steve

Kevin

Color

Blue

Yellow

Red

Green

White

Car

Corvette

Accord

Prius

Caravan

Prius

Caravan

Suburban

Prius

Suburban

Drink

Beer

Iced Tea

MD

Red Bull

Coffee

Iced Tea

MD

Monitor

17 LCD

Dual Disp

17 CRT

15 LCD

Dual Disp

15 CRT

17 LCD

15 LCD

Dual Disp

17 CRT

15 CRT

15 LCD

Dual Disp

17 CRT

15 CRT

15 LCD

Dual Disp

• Even with the new clue, there isn't any way without making assumptions that you can narrow it down to a one-to-one relationship between the different parameters and people.

Maybe my problem-solving skills just don't relate to stuff we had to do in secondary school many years ago

John

• I didn't like the Rubik's Cube the first time I saw it...

...took it apart, I did, to see what made it tick...

• Steve did not mention the additional clues, based on probability...

*Sue has the first office, meaning it is probably the corner office and Sue is a Corporate VP

*Sue has the blue office, likely because she had it painted the color of her eyes

*As Sue's eyes are probably blue, so she is probably a blond

*As Sue is probably a blue-eyed blond Corporate VP, the only car she would possibly drive is the Corvette, and she drinks the beer just to show she is 'one of the boys'.

*Sue originally had the Dual Monitor, but they took it away when she kept asking where her second computer was (remember, she IS a blond...)

wolf

• more additional clues...

Andy is actually a fiery red-headed female techno-geek in her late 20's, who graduated at the top of her class from Stanford, and won her Accord on Wheel of Fortune. Andy is Sue's good friend, and she keeps Sue out of all sorts of trouble. That is why Andy's office is next to Sue's....

• Translation: This puzzle stumped me...

• ...additional clues about the guys...

*Brian is a part-time fitness instructor, and hails from Amsterdam

*Steve was in the military, and drinks LOTS of coffee because he and his wife have just had their 4th child

*Kevin trains pointing dogs for field trials and hunting, and his Suburban is white, like his office

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply