Who can recycle the error log?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who can recycle the error log?

• I got it wrong but noticed that only 2 people answered the question (including me), we both got it wrong, yet it says only 50% selected option 3 and no-one selected the other options so the chart cannot be correct:

Edit: Also the image uploader appears to be broken in Chrome and only the link option seems to work.

• Great question to start the week, thanks Steve.

• robinwilson - Saturday, May 20, 2017 1:51 PM

I got it wrong but noticed that only 2 people answered the question (including me), we both got it wrong, yet it says only 50% selected option 3 and no-one selected the other options so the chart cannot be correct:

Edit: Also the image uploader appears to be broken in Chrome and only the link option seems to work.

Bug submitted. There's something weird here with scoring, and since we deployed a different fix a few weeks ago, I'll have someone look.

Image upload appears to work in Chrome for me. If you are having issues, please send a note to the Webmaster with the version of Chrome and what you're trying to upload. I believe we only take .gif or .jpg.

• Nice question to start the week on, thanks Steve

• Wouldn't the minimal privileges be the NTFS permissions to delete the ERRORLOG.? files? Sure - you can't replace / modify the current ERRORLOG file (SQL Server holds its tumbs on it), but could at least (re)move the older ones.

God is real, unless declared integer.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:05 PM

robinwilson - Saturday, May 20, 2017 1:51 PM

I got it wrong but noticed that only 2 people answered the question (including me), we both got it wrong, yet it says only 50% selected option 3 and no-one selected the other options so the chart cannot be correct:

Bug submitted. There's something weird here with scoring, and since we deployed a different fix a few weeks ago, I'll have someone look.

Image upload appears to work in Chrome for me. If you are having issues, please send a note to the Webmaster with the version of Chrome and what you're trying to upload. I believe we only take .gif or .jpg.

Hello Steve

Ok thanks. It looks like once more votes are cast the scoring sorts itself out and it might only be an issue with very low numbers.
    Regarding the image uploader, I am using Chrome Canary actually so it may work fine on the non-beta one. However it also doesn't work on Edge either but then again I am on the Insider Fast builds (whilst in Chrome after browsing for an image nothing happens, in Edge the image is uploaded and appears on screen but then the insert image box remains on the screen indefinitely with the circle going around and around covering up what you are writing).

The link option works fine in both browsers though.

Thanks
    Robin

• Scoring appears to be correct now. Thanks, Steve!

• Personally, I thought this was a simple one, but the scores say otherwise.  I find it very interesting how so many of us work with such disparate aspects so a question that's elementary for one person is difficult for someone else.  For instance, I have to look up nearly everything with PoSH, but questions like this are almost a given.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:44 AM

Personally, I thought this was a simple one, but the scores say otherwise.  I find it very interesting how so many of us work with such disparate aspects so a question that's elementary for one person is difficult for someone else.  For instance, I have to look up nearly everything with PoSH, but questions like this are almost a given.

Was just thinking the same thing. Seems the same as to why we don't see as many true multi-platform DBAs anymore (outside of basics for support).
    Most of the DBMS have expanded so much in the past 10 years. Too much to be proficient in all the areas of even one platform.

Sue

• Revenant - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:15 AM

Scoring appears to be correct now. Thanks, Steve!

Caching bug. They have deployed a cache buster here for early attempts, since it's relatively low impact on perf.

• Thanks for the quick fix Steve.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply