WHILE LOOP THAT LOOPS BASED ON AN ID

• Hello Friends of SQLServerCentral!

I am trying to create an amortization table in a view (this is necessary in order to make sure that it refreshes with the live data).

I am struggling with the code in the sense that I am not too sure how to make the opening balance of a row the same as the closing balance of a previous row. Also, I need the closing balance of a row to be equal to the opening balance in that row + the payment in that row. The initial opening balance is identified with an Entry Type ="@" and the payments (InterestAmount + CapitalAmount) that reduce the opening balance and closing balances are identified with an Entry Type="I".

This is the code that I have been using:

SELECT DISTINCT

t1.ID, t1.DealID, dbo.UniverseDate(t1.ValueDate) AS EffectiveDate, CASE WHEN A.TotalAmount IS NOT NULL THEN A.TotalAmount ELSE A.TotalAmount + SUM((CASE WHEN B.Payment IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.Payment END))

OVER (PARTITION BY t1.DealID

ORDER BY t1.ID) END AS Capital, LAG(A.TotalAmount + (CASE WHEN B.Payment IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.Payment END), 1) OVER (PARTITION BY t1.DealID

ORDER BY t1.ID) AS OB, CASE WHEN B.InterestAmount IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.InterestAmount END AS InterestAmount, CASE WHEN B.Payment IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.Payment END AS Payment, CASE WHEN A.TotalAmount IS NULL

THEN LAG(A.TotalAmount + (CASE WHEN B.Payment IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.Payment END), 1) OVER (PARTITION BY t1.DealID

ORDER BY t1.ID) ELSE A.TotalAmount + (CASE WHEN B.Payment IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE B.Payment END) END AS ClosingBalance

FROM dbo.Instalment AS t1 LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT ID, dbo.UniverseDate(ValueDate) AS EffDate, CAST(TotalAmount AS int) AS TotalAmount

FROM dbo.Instalment AS t2

WHERE (EntryType = '@')) AS A ON A.ID = t1.ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT ID, dbo.UniverseDate(ValueDate) AS EffDate, CAST(ABS(InterestAmount) AS int) InterestAmount, CAST(InterestAmount + CapitalAmount AS int) AS Payment

FROM dbo.Instalment AS t3

WHERE (EntryType = 'I')) AS B ON B.ID = t1.ID

WHERE t1.EntryType<>'C'

However I am not getting the desired result. The result that I am getting is attached in the excel file as the"CURRENT OUTPUT" sheet and the result that I need to produce is in the "DESIRED OUTPUT" sheet.

I am assuming that this will work using a while loop but I am unsure of where to start?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks so much friends!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • I've extensively worked on financial calculations, and based on my experience I would not suggest using the WHILE loop for the amortization calculation if the number of transactions to be amortized is huge.

I see you've used the LAG() function. You can indeed get the previous closing using the LAG() function. You can get the Initial Closing using the FIRST_VALUE() function.

• It appears you're attempting to create "running totals" using the LAG function (which doesn't work).  You could maybe try SUM(...) OVER instead

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply