Which Windows Server OS with SQL Server 2005 Express ?

• Apologies if this is not in the correct section.

I'm getting a new dedicated SQL Server machine because the old one just cant hack it anymore. I'm going for a nice quad core cpu (probably E5420) but my question is which OS to go with. All my network servers are running Win Server 2003 R2 including the current machine running SQL Express.

Does anyone know if there would be any performance advantages in moving to Windows Server 2008 over 2003 on the new machine ? I've had a look on the MS website but cant find anything specifically saying SQL Express will run faster or have better performance.

Many thanks in advance!

• I have the same question....Any answer would be appreciated.

• Decided to get a 2008 server but install 2003 on it as a first step to run some tests on my sql queries.

Will reinstall with 2008 and do the same to see what comes out on top.

Will post up my results once im done, probably be a couple of weeks as I've only ordered the server today.

• One area that has improved in Vista and I believe 2008 is the network stack. The tcp networking should be faster. So in theory large network transfers - or if you have a lot of network I/O 2008 should perform better.

I think that the underlying OS would use more memory, however memory management of 4Gb+ systems is better and 64bit support is better.

Regards

John

• Windows 2003 standard edition, should be good enough. Also check out different flavors of SQL Express Editions. http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/comparison.mspx

Also , if you are considering using the advanced features like SSIS and SSAS.think agian..

Remember, it can only Support 1 CPU and limited Addressable RAM.

• Mani is correct,

If you use SQL Express for what it is meant for - e.g a small web application database then the underlying OS is not likely to make any difference, particularly on a newly purchased box.

If using it for anything more substancial you will probably find you will need a full edition of SQL Server.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply