which task is DTSExecuteSQLTask_6 ?

• I'm getting an error in the error log on a scheduled dts package but I can't figure out which step this is.

There are multiple steps in the dts and they are not connected although I have the package set to execute only one task at a time.

So how do I figure out which step is failing?

I have all of the tasks uniquely identified but the log always reports tasks like this.

Here is a copy of the log:

DTSRun: Loading...

DTSRun: Executing...

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1; 28 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 28

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2; 7 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 7

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_3

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_3; 52 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 52

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_3

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_4

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_4; 0 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 0

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_4

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_4

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_4

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_5

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_5; 0 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 0

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_5

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_5

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_5

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_6

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_6; 2 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 2

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_6

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6

DTSRun OnError: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6, Error = -2147217833 (80040E57)

Error string: The statement has been terminated.

Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Help file:

Help context: 0

Error Detail Records:

Error: -2147217833 (80040E57); Provider Error: 3621 (E25)

Error string: The statement has been terminated.

Help file:

Error: -2147217833 (80040E57); Provider Error: 8115 (1FB3)

Error string: Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.

Help file:

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_7

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_7

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_7

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_7; 18 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 18

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_7

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_8

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_8; 6 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 6

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_8

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_8

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_8

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_9

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_9; 9 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 9

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_9

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_9

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_9

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_10

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_10; 58 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 58

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_10

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_10

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_10

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_11

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_11; 20 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 20

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_11

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_11

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_11

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_12

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_12; 288 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 288

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_12

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_12

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_12

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_13

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_13

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_14

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_14

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_15

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_15

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_16

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_16

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_17

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_17

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_13

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_13; 1000 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 1000

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_13; 2000 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 2000

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_13; 2144 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 2144

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_13

DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_14

DTSRun OnProgress: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_14; 161 Rows have been transformed or copied.; PercentComplete = 0; ProgressCount = 161

DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_14

DTSRun: Package execution complete.

• The first thing I would try is to run the DTS package in the designer as you might spot the offending step by eye when it runs and fails. From the name you know it is ExecuteSQL task.

• When trying to troubleshoot DTS problems this is one of the problems you can run into.  To try and find out exactly what DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6 is and what it is doing you can right click on a blank area of the dts editor and choose disconnected edits.  This will allow you to see all of the detailed entries for the DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6 task including the code it is trying to execute.  Look under Tasks....DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_6....sql statement.

• Great! That was exactly what I needed, it showed me exactly where the error step was and the sql statement it was executing.

Thanks so much!

-cas

• I must thank you also.  I was going to post the same question today and your answer was perfect. 

Follow up question...it seems that you can change the name of the task in the window that opens when you select Disconnected Edit.  Is there any reason not to change the task names to "english"?  I assume whatever is in the Name property would display in the log file.

Thanks again!

Sam

• I change all of my task names so I can track the package progress through the logs.

You need to be careful that you keep the connection between the Task and the associated Step. You just need to find the associated Step in disconnected edit and change the TaskName property to the new name for the Task.

Daniel

• Excellent!  Thank you for the info!!!

Sam

• Alternatively, you can right-click on the object, choose Workflow | Workflow Properties and then select the Options tab.  It will show you what the name of the object is here also.

The Disconnect Edit is probably the easiest and quickest way to get to this information though. 

As as stated above, great care should be exercised when changing the names from within the Disconnected Edit.  It will allow you to change anything, but the package may not function properly afterward if everything doesn't exactly match up.  It is nice to see actual user-defined names in the logs though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply