Which small SQL Server would be best

• I'm involved in rewriting a very old VB6 application we wrote almost 9 years ago. This application is meant to be run in 2 ways; as a desktop application and in a disconnected fashion as an application on a laptop. 9 years ago when we first started this application we used 2 Microsoft Access databases, which over the years has proven to have been a poor design. So when I rewrite this app I want to make it use only one database, not two.

The question is which one do I use? I have been favoring SQL Server 2005 Express, but a colleague of mine has been experimenting with SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition with success. So my question to you all is this. Given that this application is meant to run both on desktops and laptops, and especially that when run on a laptop it cannot and will not be connected to a backend database, which is better for our purposes? SQL Server 2005 Express or SQL Server 2005 CE? When run on laptops the user might not return for a while. When he/she does return they've got to upload the data locally stored on the laptop. I hope I've conveyed enough so that you can give an informed answer.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• express edition has practically every feature that the full version has and supports the full SQL dialect. compact edition is not intended for multiple users and does not support views, triggers or stored procs. (i think user defined functions is also missing).

see the "Compact Express Comparison.doc" at this link: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/compact/sscecomparison.mspx

• Use SQL Server express 2005 and you can use Merge replication to sync up the databases when the laptops are connected to network.

• WOW, thanks Antonio and SteveB! Your two answers gives me exactly what I'm looking for and now I can make an informed decision. I really appreciate it!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply