Which one is Better

• Dear Administrator

In a scenario where I am updating 5 columns out of 30 in a table and one of them.

Once I am done with the Update I am getting NULL Value for one of the columns so I decided to modify that column with 0 (value) if its NULL.

now from performace and row locking (during update) point of view, what do you think which one of the below is better?

UPDATE mytable SET col1=val1, col2 =ISNULL(val2,'0'),col3=val3,col4=val4,

OR THE BELOW ONE FROM locking point of view

UPDATE mytable SET col1=val1, col2 =val2,col3=val3,col4=val4

UPDATE mytable SET col2='0' WHERE col2 IS NULL

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• Vishal Singh (12/26/2008)

Dear Administrator

In a scenario where I am updating 5 columns out of 30 in a table and one of them.

Once I am done with the Update I am getting NULL Value for one of the columns so I decided to modify that column with 0 (value) if its NULL.

now from performace and row locking (during update) point of view, what do you think which one of the below is better?

UPDATE mytable SET col1=val1, col2 =ISNULL(val2,'0'),col3=val3,col4=val4,

OR THE BELOW ONE FROM locking point of view

UPDATE mytable SET col1=val1, col2 =val2,col3=val3,col4=val4

UPDATE mytable SET col2='0' WHERE col2 IS NULL

First one is best

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• But I guess I it will have a significant row locks and that can impact other processes if we look on to the bigger picture for a highly busy OLTP system...isn't it?

• Whenever you fire an update statement, all the rows under scope will be locked. In first case, you're firing one update statement, the duration of row lock on that particular row will be lesser than duration of row lock if you're firing two update statements.

Row locking takes place whenever you're updating a row. It doesnt matter if u're updating with NULL or NOT NULL values.

Pradeep Singh

• Yes but in the above condition, once the first update finish the row will be released for other queries.

But if I mix "IS NULL" the update will go through a looping and keep all the data for other columns locked..

like say the first update is running and meanwhile I triggered one query

to work with col1..it will get down..

here what I can see is the iteration which is happening to check NULL for the one column is putting all the other columns on hold...while in the second example at least the duration of the lock is less since in the first place scanning has not been involved..does it matter anyway..?

• Vishal Singh (12/26/2008)

Yes but in the above condition, once the first update finish the row will be released for other queries.

But if I mix "IS NULL" the update will go through a looping and keep all the data for other columns locked..

like say the first update is running and meanwhile I triggered one query

to work with col1..it will get down..

here what I can see is the iteration which is happening to check NULL for the one column is putting all the other columns on hold...while in the second example at least the duration of the lock is less since in the first place scanning has not been involved..does it matter anyway..?

I'm little confused here. Are you referring to UPDATE statement or a SELECT statement. There is no LOOPING that happnes if you use IS NULL in a conditional update!!

Pradeep Singh

• If I check a condition for ISNULL would it scan the table till it gets the value..right? and whereever it gets the value null it will update the value with 0..am i in the right direction here..

• I guess u're referring to SELECT.

=========================

I've a table (reccalldetails) with appx 200,000 rows in it.

I created a non-clustered index on the column POLICYNO in it.

I fired this statement:

Case I

select * from reccalldetails where policyno='abcdefgh'

--------------------------------------------

Following is the execution plan for this line...

|--Bookmark Lookup(BOOKMARK:([Bmk1000]), OBJECT:([dailyactivity].[dbo].[RecCallDetails]))

|--Index Seek(OBJECT:([dailyactivity].[dbo].[RecCallDetails].[idx_reccalldetails_pol]), SEEK:([RecCallDetails].[PolicyNo]=Convert([@1])) ORDERED FORWARD)

Index Seek - 25%

BookMark Lookup - 75%

================================================

Case II

select * from reccalldetails where policyno is null

Following is the execution plan for this line...

|--Bookmark Lookup(BOOKMARK:([Bmk1000]), OBJECT:([dailyactivity].[dbo].[RecCallDetails]))

|--Index Seek(OBJECT:([dailyactivity].[dbo].[RecCallDetails].[idx_reccalldetails_pol]), SEEK:([RecCallDetails].[PolicyNo]=NULL) ORDERED FORWARD)

Index Seek - 51%

BookMark lookup - 49%

=========================================

In both cases it chose index seek instead of index scan. However since i have 79 rows out of 200000 which has NULLs in policyno, the relative time of index seek is more in the 2nd case.

===========================================

If your index is defined on the column used in the WHERE clause and is updated, it'll go to index seek. Also, SELECT creates a shared lock on the retrieved rows which means other SELECT statements can also view these rows simultaneously, but UPDATE wont be allowed on these rows until all rows have been retreived and the shared lock has been released.

Pradeep Singh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply