Which is the correct spatial data type?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Which is the correct spatial data type?

• Interesting and Important for (70-461) preparation.

+1

Vimal LohaniSQL DBA | MCP (70-461,70-462)==============================The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure ** Success is a journey not a destination**Think before you print, SAVE TREES, Protect Mother Nature

• Good question.

I was feeling too depressed by my nation's decision to stay under England's domination :crying: to do any research this morning, so I took a guess and got it wrong. 🙁

Tom

• Good one for Friday,

THANKS!

• Nice question. Got it right, after carefully considering all options for a few minutes 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (9/19/2014)

TomThomson (9/19/2014)

Good question.

I was feeling too depressed by my nation's decision to stay under England's domination :crying: to do any research this morning, so I took a guess and got it wrong. 🙁

I'm with you there, Tom.

I voted for independance myself...:(

I'm a bit confused by the contradictions in the answer:

2.Geography, as it stores geographic coordinates and takes into account the ellipsoidal surface of the Earth.

True: Geography data type stores ellipsoidal (round-earth) data, such as GPS latitude and longitude coordinates.

4.Neither is accurate enough, Geography does not reflect the ellipsoidal surface of the earth at all and geometry cannot be used as the United Kingdom miles are incompatible with EU kilometres.

False: It is true that the Geography data type does not reflect the ellipsoidal surface of the Earth but Imperial miles or kilometres have nothing to do with the problem.

I suspect the OP meant to say in point 4 that Geometry does not reflect the ellipsoidal surface of the earth...

Nice catch Stewart, I've accidentally swapped'em in number 4, sorry about that.

😎

• TomThomson (9/19/2014)

Good question.

I was feeling too depressed by my nation's decision to stay under England's domination :crying:

Breaks my heart seeing such an opportunity waisted!

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/19/2014)

TomThomson (9/19/2014)

Good question.

I was feeling too depressed by my nation's decision to stay under England's domination :crying:

Breaks my heart seeing such an opportunity waisted!

😎

As much as I respect Scotland's right to be an independent nation I don't actually think this was the right opportunity. I think there were too many holes in Mr Salmond's arguments. Of course, I'm looking at it in a coldly economic light from the North of England but from what I gathered, the case for the Union was just too strong. I fully realise that's not necessarily about just that but this time around I wasn't convinced. There seemed to be an awful lot of 'it just will' in the Yes campaign's rhetoric. I have to say though, that given a different argument I could certainly be swayed otherwise. That's partly because of one point I certainly don't fully agree on with you Tom. It's not entirely England's domination. The London-centric governance of the nations constantly grates on me. Given the choice of investment in London or investment in the North, there will always only be one winner. I imagine that if independence had been the outcome, we in the North would have been begging to join you before long.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• I have some doubt on the correctness of this question. As you get the coordinates from a GPS system and your task is to store the coordinates (calculation of distance is not mentioned), I sincerely think that both geography and geometry would do, but the best option would possibly be to decimal numbers. If you should do calculation on the coordinates, it would be a completely different story.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• This is a very interesting question.

I haven't worked with spatial data yet but after eliminating a few of the incorrect answers, went with my gut and got it right.

Thanks!

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• Interesting question. I had not heard of the OGS before, and when I downloaded their SQL specification, I could find no mention of the Geography data time, but a few points on the Geometry data type. So I went with 5. I guess I downloaded the wrong file or did not read it thoroughly enough. So I guess I learned a few new things today.

• Thanks for the post, very interesting one. I referred the local_help to know the difference between these two, and picked the geography, it states clearly on what type of data can be stored in it. Now its time to do some more digging. 🙂

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Nice question, Eirikur, thanks. I, too, have not worked with spatial data, but it seemed to make more sense to use Geography vs. Geometry in this case.

• okbangas (9/19/2014)

I have some doubt on the correctness of this question. As you get the coordinates from a GPS system and your task is to store the coordinates (calculation of distance is not mentioned), I sincerely think that both geography and geometry would do, but the best option would possibly be to decimal numbers. If you should do calculation on the coordinates, it would be a completely different story.

Given that geography and geometry were the only options, geography is definitely the best available answer. I agree, though, that unless there's a known need to apply any of the spatial functions to the data, it's probably best to store the coordinates as decimals[/url]. They can always be converted to the geography type as needed.

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply