Which is faster for Mathmatical Operations?

• So assuming the SQL Server and Reporting Server are in separate but equal environments which would be faster SQL (performing calculations in the Select Statement) or SSRS (performing the calculations in the report it’s self.)

Is one more tuned for mathematical calculations then the other or are they equal?

If for example I want to have my report show A, B, and A + B would I have my Select Statement Return all three or just A and B.

Right now I’m leaning toward the latter option for two reasons. 1) it’s a 33% reduction in network traffic, and 2) if A or B are results of some function the Server would have to perform that functions for both A and B and then again for A + B.

Thoughts?

• I doubt the asnwer has much to do with the relative mathematical speeds, and more to do with the overall I/O, Network, etc.

In general, I'd expect that overall it would be more "efficient" to do the edition in the front end. However, that should always take a back seat to which is the better abstraction. Which is better for maintenance (the true cost!0

• markmeiller (11/7/2008)

So assuming the SQL Server and Reporting Server are in separate but equal environments which would be faster SQL (performing calculations in the Select Statement) or SSRS (performing the calculations in the report it’s self.)

Is one more tuned for mathematical calculations then the other or are they equal?

If for example I want to have my report show A, B, and A + B would I have my Select Statement Return all three or just A and B.

Right now I’m leaning toward the latter option for two reasons. 1) it’s a 33% reduction in network traffic, and 2) if A or B are results of some function the Server would have to perform that functions for both A and B and then again for A + B.

Thoughts?

basically performing calculations in the sql server is more faster, but if the application is multi user then it may degrade as the single server machine will calculate for all the other connected applications. hence in that case calculation should be at the user end [application level].

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply