Which gives the greatest points?

• Being in N. America Rugby isn't very popular here but I got the question right anyway using (American) Football as my reference. 😉

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Huh, I wasn't expecting to learn something about sports today. :crazy::-D

• Horribly wrong answer. :angry: People whio don't understand rygby should nit set questions like this - or if they do, they should do some research and learn the bloody rules!

A try convert scores 2 points - it doesn't score 7, a try scores 5 and a conversion scores 2.

It's amazing that anyone can get this so completely wrong! It's all set out quite clearly in the game rules, and on an rather large number of websites. And anyone who plays the game (or even anyone who has played the game, but - like me - got too old and too unfit years ago and no longer plays but still follows the game) knows how the scoring works, and that converting a try is worth only 2 points.

The only way a try convert could be said to score 7 points would be if a failed atempt to convert forfeited the oringinal 5 points scored for the try - and a failed conversion doesn't, and never in the history of the game has, caused the try points to be lost.

Tom

• kaspencer (10/30/2015)

Come off it - the answer was absolute rubbish! If you convert a TRY, you ALREADY have 3 points. The conversion is worth only 2 points.

Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish!

I agree with the Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish part of the comment :-D, but 3 points for a try is a wee bittie out of date :laugh:. It was 3 when I first played the game, but that was about 60 years ago and the scoring has changed since then.

Tom

• Luis Cazares (10/30/2015)

Now I know how the people on the other side of "the pond" feel when the humor questions are US centered. 😀

At least the US-centered ones are usually accurate, unlike this one :sick: - we'd so better to stick to US-centered humour is drifting to the civilised side of the pond produces inaccurate nonsense like this one.

Tom

• Sorry, Tom. Why did I type 3? I've no idea - of course it is 5!

It must have been because I was annoyed at the waste of a point!

Ken.

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
    lulu.com/kaspencer

• Thank you all for giving this a try;-)

😎

(mis) Quoting William Edward Hickson

Tis a lesson you should heed:

Try, try, try again.

If at first you don't succeed,

Try, try, try again.

that's 15 points for the trys and 21 with conversions.

Noticed that there is some REBAR thinking in the comments, obviously TRY_CONVERT is a set containing both a try and a conversion, and on that note, left out the CONVERT option in the answers for the sake of ambiguity:-D

Special thanks to Steve for the perfect hint and generosity by awarding 7 points (5 for the try and 2 for the conversion), cheers!

• Luis Cazares (10/30/2015)

Now I know how the people on the other side of "the pond" feel when the humor questions are US centered. 😀

Oh good... I am not alone.

I still don't get it...

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/30/2015)

Thank you all for giving this a try;-)

😎

Try, try, try again.

Try, try, try again.

It's rather strange to see Hickson credited for something he copied either directly from Palmer or (perhaps more likely?) from Maryat (who had copied it from Palmer).

Tom

• Toreador (10/30/2015)

The correct answer should be END TRY - the completion of the try, which scores 5 points in Union, 4 in League. The Try Conversion (TRY_CONVERT) then scores an additional 2 in both codes.

I agree with this.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Toreador (10/30/2015)

edwardwill (10/30/2015)

Toreador (10/30/2015)

The correct answer should be END TRY - the completion of the try, which scores 5 points in Union, 4 in League. The Try Conversion (TRY_CONVERT) then scores an additional 2 in both codes.

No, because as you say TRY = 4/5, but TRY_CONVERT = 6/7

Only if you take TRY_CONVERT to mean the Try and the Try Conversion.

I take it to mean just the Try Conversion (so 2 points).

That is the interpretation I had as well. So a play on words that leads to confusion based on interpretation.

The begin try means the start of the start. End of Try means successful TRY.

Learn Extended Events

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/30/2015)

😎

Try, try, try again.

Try, try, try again.

Noticed that there is some REBAR thinking in the comments, obviously TRY_CONVERT is a set containing both a try and a conversion, and on that note, left out the CONVERT option in the answers for the sake of ambiguity:-D

Special thanks to Steve for the perfect hint and generosity by awarding 7 points (5 for the try and 2 for the conversion), cheers!

It doesn't read as a set. It just reads as convert statement. If it had been TRY::TRY_CONVERT then I could buy in on the set idea. Maybe event TRY_CONVERT_ptr could read as a TRY and CONVERT set because a pointer indicates an overload.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/31/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/30/2015)

😎

Try, try, try again.

Try, try, try again.

It doesn't read as a set. It just reads as convert statement. If it had been TRY::TRY_CONVERT then I could buy in on the set idea. Maybe event TRY_CONVERT_ptr could read as a TRY and CONVERT set because a pointer indicates an overload.

I'm in total agreement with Jason. Eirikur's justification for his interpretation is just so much hot air. TRY_CONVERT clearly refers to the conversion of a try, which scores exactly two points, not seven.

Tom

• I know nothing about rugby.

• There was a bumper sticker that I once saw that I always get a chuckle at remembering: "Give blood, play rugby".

At least the question wasn't about Australian Rules Football.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply