Which book should one read first?

• Hey friends,

Which book should I read first from these two books by Grant Fritchey:

1. Query Performance Tuning Distilled

2. SQLServerExecutionPlans

Sujeet Singh

• 1 It will make more sense to start with.

• Talib123 (9/17/2014)

1 It will make more sense to start with.

Thanks for your response Talib. Thats what I thought too.

Have you read these books?

Sujeet Singh

• The second one is a little more specialized than the first. They both cover some of the same material, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the query tuning one first. As far as both books go also, I'd suggest getting newer versions. The 2012 book is much better than the 2008 book, it fixes a lot of issues. The 2014 book, released today, is even better and it will still largely cover query tuning back to 2005. Make sure you get the 2nd edition of the execution plans book.

And let me know if you have questions.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (9/17/2014)

The second one is a little more specialized than the first. They both cover some of the same material, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the query tuning one first. As far as both books go also, I'd suggest getting newer versions. The 2012 book is much better than the 2008 book, it fixes a lot of issues. The 2014 book, released today, is even better and it will still largely cover query tuning back to 2005. Make sure you get the 2nd edition of the execution plans book.

And let me know if you have questions.

Thanks a lot Grant for providing your suggestion. Who better than you could have told better! 🙂 Thanks again.

Sujeet Singh

• Happy to help out.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• That's the one I started with some time ago. Maybe an older version. It enabled me to get up to speed very quickly as I needed to. I was dropped in at the deep end and told to swim.

Most things will connect when you have understood the book. You will understand what is going on in the background and then be able to diagnose issues quicker.

The main time we are put under pressure is when things are running slow. So if you can get to the bottom and resolve quickly, most other things can be researched with more time to think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply