Where's my IP?

• It's amazing. TechEd, 11,000 people, the biggest Microsoft conference of each year, and I can't get wireless connectivity. In the middle of the convention center, right next to every vendor booth, I'm connecting and disconnecting from the wireless network. Each time I get a connection message, I'm usually getting an IP of 169.254.61.214.

For those of you not sure where that one is assigned, the 169.254 range is an automatic self-assigned address when you cannot find a DHCP server.

I'm guessing that the overwhelming number of devices, at this conference it seems like every 3rd geek has a laptop, is causing issues. I see lots of tablet PCs and people taking notes (Notes?) with OneNote or whatever app they're using. And don't even get started on how many CrackBerry's or Window's Mobile PCs people have for checking email. It's not quite daylight in the darkened keynote hall, but it's definitely got night lights glowing from every 4 or 5 seats. No one's going to trip over anything for a lack of ambient light.

So I get to queue up my notes for the day as well as the editorial and notes for the day. My apologies to any of you whose emails I am slow to respond to.

Still, the first day was fun and I made some notes about it. Read up a little to see if this is for you and look for more detailed notes about what we're learning while we're here.

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I wonder if you have the same issue as I have. My laptop stays wireless all day. I lose connection one or more times per hour and have to "repair" my IP address. After 5 PM and I never lose connection. I've noticed that the 15 or so access points (9 or so are in another building not related to where I am) are all set to the same channel. I've asked for the ones here to be switched to a different channel but so far no one who can will change it. It's possible everyone is using the same channel and changing channels at the wireless gateway would help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply