Where''s my data!?

• Hello everyone...

At some point, my SQLserver registration just fails (this has happened several times now) and at that point, all I can do is delete the server and register a new one.

As far as I know, this should NOT delete the actual databases but when I register a new server, the databases are obviously not there.

How can I get to my databases from the obsolete server registration or is it indeed gone?

(BTW, I have backups etc. in other places)

Thanks for your help!

Robert

• SQL Server Registering - unregistering should not make any differences to the databases under that instance.

You may want to do a dummy check :

Register one sql server instance.

Create a database on that instance.

Unregister it.

Then again register tht instance. The database that u created should be present.

One more reson could be that the user login that you are registering with might not have accessiblity to all databases on that instance. So you may not be able to see those databases.

Hope this helps.

--Kishore

• You should log into the actual server in question as SA and see whats up.  Youll be able to see everything.  Verify its healthy and has all the databases and logins necessary to connect from another server.

-Isaiah

• Server registrations in enterprise manager will not affect, in any way, the actual server itself (ie uninstalling, stopping service, etc).  I can have the same server registered twice - but it is still only running once

• Thanks for all the answers but none of them seems to be the answer to my problem. I have re-registered the server but I still can't see my data. One of the things I didn't realize is that when I re-register, it won't connect to the local server. I am guessing that is the problem.

What I don't understand is why, all of a sudden, my local server stops and doesn't work anymore.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Firewalls on your client or on the SQL Servers?  Can you connect to the server using something simple like OSQL?  Try windows vs SQL auth

osql -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -S SERVERNAME 

OR  

osql -E -S SERVERNAME

If it cannot connect, nor will Enterprise Manager.

When you say you can't see your data, can you see the list of databases and do other things with the registered server?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply