Where to run a dtsx from?

• Hi,

I was just chatting with someone about running dtsx packages and I wanted to get others opinion.

Assuming you have built some packages locally using BIDS and they are all working fine, you then want to run them on your production servers, so you have a few options, you've decided to keep it as a file system deployment so the question is where would you put the files?

You have two servers, server A has the database engine installed and thats it, server B has the database engine and SSIS installed.

As you don't need SSIS installed to run the packages, is there any argument for running it on server B, or could you save a bit of money and get rid of server B (if it wasn't used for anything else?).

Thanks,

Nic

• Its one of the "It depends" questions this.

My two cents, if the load of ServerA is heavily utilised, then running the dtexec process on ServerA might not be a good thing, but if there are ample resources available on ServerA to run the process then run it on ServerA

If ServerB is there just to run SSIS packages for ServerA and you had ample resources on ServerA to run your packages, then I would personally get rid of ServerB.

But if there was a valid reason to keep it, then keep it.

• Thanks for the reply.

You point on workload is valid.

Regards,

Nic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply