Where is the text of calc''d members stored?

• I've written about 50 or so calc'ed members in one of my cubes.

I'm looking for a way document and share the formulas.

Right now all that I can do is manually open each one and save the text to an editor.  (Can't even do a Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C in that window!)

Anyway, does anyone know of a back door select statement ,(like good old Syscomments in msSql) or some file repository that I can get to to list my calc's?

Thanks

Bruce

• You could write something to extract it from the repository (it's in xml, not too hard to do).

Alternatively, you could use the cube documenting Word template (olapscribe). This documents entire catalogs and cubes, so if you have many you may want to limit it to only the single cube.  It documents all parts of the cube (calc members, dimensions, hierarchies, data sources and partitions).  You can download it from here

Cheers,

Steve.

• Wow!

Thanks Steve.  That Olap Scribe tool is pretty awesome.  That will serve my purposes perfectly.

As for the XML in the repository, I had a *very quick look*  into the mdb file as my first try, and didn't see anything that was calc related.  It was mostly cube structures etc.

I'd like to see that though.  Any more advice on how to access that.  (A BOL reference would suffice).

thanks again Steve,

Bruce

• Hi Bruce,

If you look at the cube object in the repository (so Class = 9), right near the end of the XML will be some Command elements, within these will be Statement attributes that are used by AS to create named sets, calc members etc.  Depending on how large the cube is, and what tool you use to try to get the xml out with, it can be hard to see the entire <CUBE></CUBE> document (e.g. my slightly modified Foodmart:Sales cube is too large to be returned via Query Analyser as a character string.

Cheers,

Steve.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply