Where is SSMS?

• I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, 64-bit onto a Vista machine.  After installing it I couldn't find SQL Server Management Studio.

What did I forget to do?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• You can deselect the installation of SSMS during install, but the default setting is to install it.  Either way, you can run the installer again and only install the client components including SSMS.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• The install media for SQL Server 2005 is split into 2 - a Server folder and a Tools folder.  If you do a server components install the tools will not be included in the same install.  Do a search on other posts to this forum for other posts on this subject and how to overcome them.

BTW the same situation applies to SQL Server 2008.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Thank you, will do, Ed.

• SSMS wasn't included in the default install for MSDE.  You have to download separately (or install it from the CD of another version).

SSMS Express is located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&DisplayLang=en

By the way - the "new" version of Express (available via download) is called SQL Express with Advanced Services, and HAS SSMSE included in the d/l.  Current latest version is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&DisplayLang=en

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• EdVassie (9/7/2007)

The install media for SQL Server 2005 is split into 2 - a Server folder and a Tools folder. If you do a server components install the tools will not be included in the same install. Do a search on other posts to this forum for other posts on this subject and how to overcome them.

BTW the same situation applies to SQL Server 2008.

Ed,

I tried doing what you suggested, but it didn't work. Instead I got a message saying I had a newer version on my system than what was on the CD, and it just quit. I have applied SP2. Do I have to uninstall SP2 in order to get SSMS working? Or do I even have to uninstall SQL, and start over again?

• You could also just try to see if the shortcut went bye bye. Just double-check to see if you HAVE a ssms.exe file on the system or not. should be in the

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE"

folder if you installed using default settings.

Little bit less effort than unpatching, uninstalling and starting all over again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If you need to add a component to an existing SQL Server 2005 installation, you need to use Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and click on SQL Server 2005. This gives you the dialogue to add the additional components.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Matt Miller (10/3/2007)

You could also just try to see if the shortcut went bye bye. Just double-check to see if you HAVE a ssms.exe file on the system or not. should be in the

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE"

folder if you installed using default settings.

Little bit less effort than unpatching, uninstalling and starting all over again.

OK, I'll give that a try.

• SQL 2005 Developer edition uses sqlwb.exe. SQL Server express edition uses ssmsee.exe to execute. If SQL 2005 has been installed correctly you should be able to Start --> Run --> sqlwb and press enter.

You can find the sqlwb.exe in the path suggested earlier.

• My eyes see one thing, and my fingies type another. Thanks Adam.

• And if, at the Run prompt, it cannot find SSMS when I enter SqlWB, then I can conclude that I do not have it.

Correct?

Rod

• Yes, I would say that the database engine has not been installed.

• OK, then, it seems to me as though my only course of action is to uninstall SQL Server 2005 and reinstall it again.

Will that also take off SP2 for SQL 2005? I've installed that and I think that has interfered with me attempting to put the client tools in place, as every time I've tried the SQL Server 2005 installer complains saying that I've got a newer version of SQL and so it won't install it. I've just tried looking to see if I could find SP2 in Add/Remove Programs, but I cannot, so will uninstalling SQL 2005 also remove SP2?

• sp2 cannot be removed via add/remove programs, when the SQL Instance in unistalled sp2 is removed.

There is more documentation/instruction on uninstalling sp2 here

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/b/5/2b5e5d37-9b17-423d-bc8f-b11ecd4195b4/ReadmeSQL2005SP2.htm#_1463_uninstalling_sql_server_2005_SP2_fzpy

Adam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply