where is my page splits occuring?

• Hi all

I am trying to drill into the specific tables causing page splits to occur, we are taking a 300 table schema (1 of 6 databases hosted on the same db instance) and really need to nut out what are the key tables. Now, I can probably track the tables experiencing a majority of the updates/inserts and go from there, but would like a more effective solution.

Ideas?

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Not sure how you'd do this. Maybe run profiler and look for activity on tables, then match this with page split data in Performance Monitor?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Yeh, tried this, very difficult to do though with busy databases. I will try a few ideas out and see what happens.

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• Fragmentation will be increasing on the tables which are splitting. Try running DBCC SHOWCONTIG against the tables and indexes you suspect are splitting.

• YES, you are perfectly correct and I have been using this method with SQL*Probes assistance to monitor the problem tables. It seem a good method but you skill need to be careful with the actual size of the objects to determine the best bang-for-buck.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply